Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

aflintdepm
Helper III
Helper III

Last 12 Months Sort Order- Matrix Visual

I am trying to set up a matrix visual to show data over the trailing 12 months.  I have a calendar table and have added a sorting column created by 

MonthSortOrder = FORMAT([Date],"YYYYMM") 

However, when I try to use this to sort my Month column, I get this error

aflintdepm_0-1712935195982.png

What is the best way to create a dynamic sort, in a matrix, that will show the trailing 12 months (or other period) with the most current month as the end?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @aflintdepm 

It appears you are trying  to apply a custom sort to a column that contains just the month name thus the month get sorted more than once unsuccessfuly due to it having multiple years (eg, you cannot apply yyyymm sorting to a month only has mmm or mmmm but you can to mmm-yy). But custom sorting will not give you the trailing 12 months. It is only for sorting.  I have attached a DAX calendar with running month numbers in the rightmost columns referencing the earliest or latest month in the table.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @aflintdepm 

It appears you are trying  to apply a custom sort to a column that contains just the month name thus the month get sorted more than once unsuccessfuly due to it having multiple years (eg, you cannot apply yyyymm sorting to a month only has mmm or mmmm but you can to mmm-yy). But custom sorting will not give you the trailing 12 months. It is only for sorting.  I have attached a DAX calendar with running month numbers in the rightmost columns referencing the earliest or latest month in the table.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.