Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BaileyL
Frequent Visitor

Keep Opening/Closing stock per day on a Live Database

Hello,

I am new to PowerBi and have a problem with certain data. I have a live database with all my items and their stock, which updates regularly. I am able to calcaulte the total inventory stock at the opening and closing. However, if I want to do this every day, PowerBI recalculates every Opening/Closing for each day causing the Inventory total for that day to change. 

I want to see fluxatation in the total stock each day. How can I keep a snapshot when the data is refreshed or is there a better approach? I am unable to modify the database. 

Many thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sergii24
Super User
Super User

Hi @BaileyL, that's a perfect case to use Power BI Metrics. I have some projects where need to track data that is overwritten every day, to do so I've connected my report to metrics that saves such value every day. I can't drill down to see details on what happened on that day, but that's a perfect way to keep track on the things on a high level.

Sergii24_1-1713789296533.png

You can learn more about it here.
Good luck!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Sergii24
Super User
Super User

Hi @BaileyL, that's a perfect case to use Power BI Metrics. I have some projects where need to track data that is overwritten every day, to do so I've connected my report to metrics that saves such value every day. I can't drill down to see details on what happened on that day, but that's a perfect way to keep track on the things on a high level.

Sergii24_1-1713789296533.png

You can learn more about it here.
Good luck!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.