Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mbowler
Frequent Visitor

Incremental update of a dataset from an Excel file

Hi, I have a dataset that was created from a large excel extracted from our venue ticket sales database. It includes several years of historical data plus the current sales for future events. I want know if there is a way to update the dataset on say a weekly basis with another excel extract that only contains sales data for future events. I thought about using Power Automate but as the process/criteria for matching and updating the rows that have changed (or been added) is quite complex I'm not sure how to do that without using Power Query/DAX. Any thoughts or suggestions of what to research would be most helpful.

Each row in the dataset is a seat for a particular event performance. Hence when a new event is created, new rows are added as per the number of seats in our venue. Then as they get sold, the row is updated with the details of the sale (time, price paid etc).

2 REPLIES 2
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

Hello! For incremental refresh to be utilized your data source needs to support query folding (generally SQL based data sources). If you have your Excel data loaded to a data source that supports query folding you can do incremental refreshes in Power BI: Incremental refresh for semantic models and real-time data in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Unfortunately, loading the Excel into another data source is not viable for me, so I have found a solution by incremetally updating a master Excel file from an Excel file that just has the changes in it using the following method: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/excel/comments/o7syry/incremental_updates_with_power_query/

https://www.reddit.com/r/excel/comments/9rd0ab/comment/e8fzo28/

I am then pulling in the master Excel into PBI to make my dataset. Though now I need to work out how to do the data refresh - so I have:

Semantic Model - which imports from -> Excel (master) on SharePoint - which queries -> Excel (updates) on SharePoint

I have a process that puts a new update file into SharePoint every day at 2am, I'd like the Sematic model to refresh shortly after this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.