Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

caplogic
Regular Visitor

How to Decide Visuals for Particular Charts/Tables

Calling on Power BI designers. 

I'm still learning on how get the best out of Power BI Desktop to create my visuals.

Can someone let me know me how they go about deciding what visual best represents a dataset or table.

For example, for the table in the screenshot below, how would you go about deciding the visual for the table

caplogic_0-1714816506778.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Alex87
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hello,

First, look at what your data represents and what you want to communicate. Decide what the key mesage or insights you want to convey 

• Are you trying to show the distribution of accounts across different types?
  • Do you want to highlight which account types have the most financial impact?
  • Is the comparison between the number of accounts and the amount of cash received important?

In terms of visuals you could use :

1) bar or column charts for showing distribution of accounts

2) bar chart with AccountType and TotalCashReceived to quickly identify main account types

3) Stacked Column chart if you want to show how each account type contributes to the total number of accounts

4) Pie or Donut chart for proportionate Comparison

5) Scatter chart for relationship analysis.

It all depends on the story you want to tell, the angle you want to take and the relationship between the other elements you include in the report (other graphs, labels, etc etc).

If it helps, please mark my reply as the solution. Thanks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Alex87
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hello,

First, look at what your data represents and what you want to communicate. Decide what the key mesage or insights you want to convey 

• Are you trying to show the distribution of accounts across different types?
  • Do you want to highlight which account types have the most financial impact?
  • Is the comparison between the number of accounts and the amount of cash received important?

In terms of visuals you could use :

1) bar or column charts for showing distribution of accounts

2) bar chart with AccountType and TotalCashReceived to quickly identify main account types

3) Stacked Column chart if you want to show how each account type contributes to the total number of accounts

4) Pie or Donut chart for proportionate Comparison

5) Scatter chart for relationship analysis.

It all depends on the story you want to tell, the angle you want to take and the relationship between the other elements you include in the report (other graphs, labels, etc etc).

If it helps, please mark my reply as the solution. Thanks

Hi Alex,

This may be a little cheeky, but would you be open to providing examples of the visual you have just described if I supplied the PBIX?

Hi Resolver,

This is brilliant. It's very insightful. Your statements I will definitely keep as a reference to be reviewed whenever I build a visual.

I think a lot of Power BI designers will take a lot from what you said.

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.