Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

gvlado
Advocate II
Advocate II

How many times data from column appears in other column

Hello PBI friends
I have, probably simple, problem but I am stucked and going around like in rounabout road.
Have to produce column that will be based on appearance of the same data (for example from column 2) in another column ( for example column 3).
Example:
Product A can be sold in many countries. I have to know in how many countries it is sold? Desired solution is Apperas in #Country (green header)

gvlado_0-1695032662092.png

Thanks, a lot. I am still learning so I hope once I will be able to help to someone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ChiragGarg2512
Super User
Super User

Creation of the following column can help you with this situation.

Column = calculate(DistinctCOUNT('Table'[Country]), Filter('Table', 'Table'[Product] = EARLIER('Table'[Product])))

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ChiragGarg2512
Super User
Super User

Creation of the following column can help you with this situation.

Column = calculate(DistinctCOUNT('Table'[Country]), Filter('Table', 'Table'[Product] = EARLIER('Table'[Product])))

I knew it - so simple
Thanks a lot.
You earned pizza - when you come to Croatia

Thank you,... For the free food😂.

123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

In Power BI, you can achieve this by creating a new calculated column in your table that counts how many times a value from one column appears in another column. In your case, you want to count how many countries each product appears in. Here's how you can do it:

1. Open your Power BI report and go to the "Model" view.

2. In the "Fields" pane, select the table where you want to create the new calculated column.

3. Click on the "Modeling" tab in the top menu.

4. Click on "New Column."

5. In the formula bar that appears at the top, enter the following DAX formula:

Country Count = COUNTROWS( FILTER( YourTableName, YourTableName[Product] = EARLIER(YourTableName[Product]) ) )

Replace YourTableName with the actual name of your table and Product with the name of the column containing the product names.

1. Press Enter to create the new column.

This DAX formula creates a new column called "Country Count" that counts how many times each product appears in the same table based on the product name. It uses the COUNTROWS function along with the FILTER function to count the rows where the product name matches the current row's product name.

Now, you should see a new column in your table that shows the count of countries for each product. You can use this column in your visuals to see how many countries each product is sold in.

Thanks, your proposal is giving me how many times at all apears in some country (can be multiple times in one country)
Altought ...

"CountryCount=calculate(DistinctCOUNT('Table'[Country]), Filter('Table''Table'[Product] = EARLIER('Table'[Product])))" it is counting some country just once.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.