Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Natrify
Frequent Visitor

Help needed for month-on-month change visuals

Hi all,

I've been working on a dashboard for app usage, which is near completion, but there's just one visual that I can't quite iron out. I'm trying to create a visual showing month-on-month % change in app usage:

Natrify_2-1710908992269.png

The data I'm working with looks something like this:

Natrify_3-1710909032212.png

I've managed to get something close to what I want by using calculated columns to get a count of each month, and then get a count of the previous month, then I calculate the % difference:

Natrify_4-1710909066896.png

The problem with this method is that if I create a filter visual for User Type, it doesn't effect the data in the right way. e.g. If I filter for User Type 0 it will filter out rows with 1, but the % Differencemonth doesn't change.

Any ideas? Help is much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

rather than creating column for % change or %, it is always better to create measure.

try create measure like this 

% Diff = 
Var LM =  CALCULATE(SUM(YourTable[InstanceCount]), PARALLELPERIOD(DateTable[DateKey],-1,Month))  
VAR CM = SUM(YourTable[InstanceCount])

Return 
DIVIDE (CM-LM,LM,BLANK())

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

rather than creating column for % change or %, it is always better to create measure.

try create measure like this 

% Diff = 
Var LM =  CALCULATE(SUM(YourTable[InstanceCount]), PARALLELPERIOD(DateTable[DateKey],-1,Month))  
VAR CM = SUM(YourTable[InstanceCount])

Return 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

Just a quick update, if you're like me and you added in an instance count column to your table, using COUNT works better than SUM: 

% Diff = 
Var LM =  CALCULATE(COUNT(YourTable[InstanceCount]), PARALLELPERIOD(DateTable[DateKey],-1,Month))  
VAR CM = COUNT(YourTable[InstanceCount])

Return 

Using SUM can result in wonky percentages since you end up muliplying counts with themselves:

Month

Instance countRow numberSum
Jun-23                            26,713             26,713            713,584,369
May-23                            20,482             20,482            419,512,324
 % differenceCOUNT % differenceSUM
 30% 70%

Brilliant! 

I got it working, I got pretty close to your measure, I jsut couldn't figure out how to get a sum of the previous month's data. I didn't even know PARALLELPERIOD existed. 

Thankyou so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.