Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Borja204
Helper II
Helper II

Generate table for each month with accumulative values having the year

Hi guys!

I'm struggling with one thing in my reports. I have a fact tables with data per each year-month. Now I've been able to show also info of another fact table. This one comes with the granularity of year, and the formula to get the objective per month is as simple as divide per 12.

What I'm trying to achieve with 0 success is to generate a table that taking the original table, generates a new one  multiplying all the records while dividing the values and acumulating them over those months. 

The original table is like this:

CountryIdTypeIdYearSalesObjectiveClientObjective
ES220201224
UK320203612
US320202472

I need to generate this:

Borja204_0-1620901292780.png

Im totally lost on this. I don't mind to generate it either in power query or in dax, I'm not been able to do it in any of them... but if I had to choose the preference is power query.

Thanks and regards!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Borja204 ,

What I did was to create a new table with the years / months:

MFelix_0-1620902275696.png

Added a new column to this table with the name of the table with the sales objectives:

SalesObjectives

MFelix_1-1620902334004.png

MFelix_2-1620902348696.png

Expanded the new column

Then added two custom columns:

[Custom.SalesObjective]/12*[Month]

[Custom.ClientObjective]/12*[Month]

Deleted the previous two columns and final result below:

MFelix_3-1620902413689.png

Check full code for the second table below:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Vc6pEQAwCATAXk4jgPy1MPTfRqIyh1y3EXB1hcCQ8uGMxuiMwZiMxdiMwzAtKgd7ibw=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Year = _t, Month = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Year", Int64.Type}, {"Month", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each SalesObjectives),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"Country", "TypeID", "Year", "SalesObjective", "ClientObjective"}, {"Custom.Country", "Custom.TypeID", "Custom.Year", "Custom.SalesObjective", "Custom.ClientObjective"}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Custom", "Salesobjective", each [Custom.SalesObjective]/12*[Month]),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "ClientObjective", each [Custom.ClientObjective]/12*[Month]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom2",{"Custom.SalesObjective", "Custom.ClientObjective"}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Removed Columns",{{"Custom.Country", Order.Ascending}, {"Year", Order.Ascending}, {"Month", Order.Ascending}})
in
    #"Sorted Rows"

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45Wcg1W0lEyAmEDIwMgZQhmmyjF6kQrhXoD2cYIOWMziAKwXDCqHFCLjpI5UC4WAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [CountryId = _t, TypeId = _t, Year = _t, SalesObjective = _t, ClientObjective = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"CountryId", type text}, {"TypeId", Int64.Type}, {"Year", Int64.Type}, {"SalesObjective", Int64.Type}, {"ClientObjective", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.RemoveColumns(Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Table.FromRows(List.Accumulate({1..12}, {}, (s,c) => s & {{c, c/12*[SalesObjective], c/12*[ClientObjective]}}), {"Month", "SalesObjective", "ClientObjective"})), {"SalesObjective", "ClientObjective"}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"Month", "SalesObjective", "ClientObjective"}, {"Month", "SalesObjective", "ClientObjective"})
in
    #"Expanded Custom"

Screenshot 2021-05-13 162809.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45Wcg1W0lEyAmEDIwMgZQhmmyjF6kQrhXoD2cYIOWMziAKwXDCqHFCLjpI5UC4WAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [CountryId = _t, TypeId = _t, Year = _t, SalesObjective = _t, ClientObjective = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"CountryId", type text}, {"TypeId", Int64.Type}, {"Year", Int64.Type}, {"SalesObjective", Int64.Type}, {"ClientObjective", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.RemoveColumns(Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Table.FromRows(List.Accumulate({1..12}, {}, (s,c) => s & {{c, c/12*[SalesObjective], c/12*[ClientObjective]}}), {"Month", "SalesObjective", "ClientObjective"})), {"SalesObjective", "ClientObjective"}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"Month", "SalesObjective", "ClientObjective"}, {"Month", "SalesObjective", "ClientObjective"})
in
    #"Expanded Custom"

Screenshot 2021-05-13 162809.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Amazing also! Thanks!

Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, @Borja204 

I assume you have a month-table that looks like below.

Please check the below sample pbix file's link and the formula for creating a new table.

Picture1.png

NewTable =
VAR newtables =
SUMMARIZECOLUMNS (
Data[CountryId],
Data[TypeId],
Data[Year],
Months[Month],
"@SalesObjective",
DIVIDE (
CALCULATE ( SUM ( Data[SalesObjective] ) ),
CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( Months ), ALL ( Months ) )
),
"@ClientObjective",
DIVIDE (
CALCULATE ( SUM ( Data[ClientObjective] ) ),
CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( Months ), ALL ( Months ) )
)
)
VAR newtables2 =
ADDCOLUMNS (
SUMMARIZE (
newtables,
Data[CountryId],
Data[TypeId],
Data[Year],
Months[Month]
),
"SalesObjective",
SUMX (
FILTER (
newtables,
Data[CountryId] = EARLIER ( Data[CountryId] )
&& Months[Month] <= EARLIER ( Months[Month] )
),
[@SalesObjective]
),
"ClientObjective",
SUMX (
FILTER (
newtables,
Data[CountryId] = EARLIER ( Data[CountryId] )
&& Months[Month] <= EARLIER ( Months[Month] )
),
[@ClientObjective]
)
)
RETURN
newtables2

Hi, My name is Jihwan Kim.

If this post helps, then please consider accept it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Linkedin: linkedin.com/in/jihwankim1975/

Twitter: twitter.com/Jihwan_JHKIM

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Hi Jihwan,

So impresive solution!! I'm accepting as answer the one that @MFelix posted just because is in power query and I think is cleaner and easier to understand. But your approach was awesome and I've learned a couple of things from your calculated table formula! 

Big thanks!

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Borja204 ,

What I did was to create a new table with the years / months:

MFelix_0-1620902275696.png

Added a new column to this table with the name of the table with the sales objectives:

SalesObjectives

MFelix_1-1620902334004.png

MFelix_2-1620902348696.png

Expanded the new column

Then added two custom columns:

[Custom.SalesObjective]/12*[Month]

[Custom.ClientObjective]/12*[Month]

Deleted the previous two columns and final result below:

MFelix_3-1620902413689.png

Check full code for the second table below:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Vc6pEQAwCATAXk4jgPy1MPTfRqIyh1y3EXB1hcCQ8uGMxuiMwZiMxdiMwzAtKgd7ibw=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Year = _t, Month = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Year", Int64.Type}, {"Month", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each SalesObjectives),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"Country", "TypeID", "Year", "SalesObjective", "ClientObjective"}, {"Custom.Country", "Custom.TypeID", "Custom.Year", "Custom.SalesObjective", "Custom.ClientObjective"}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Custom", "Salesobjective", each [Custom.SalesObjective]/12*[Month]),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "ClientObjective", each [Custom.ClientObjective]/12*[Month]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom2",{"Custom.SalesObjective", "Custom.ClientObjective"}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Removed Columns",{{"Custom.Country", Order.Ascending}, {"Year", Order.Ascending}, {"Month", Order.Ascending}})
in
    #"Sorted Rows"

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Thank you Miguel,

Simple and clean!

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.