Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

swindhorst
Frequent Visitor

Cumulative measure with calculation group not correct

I've created a calculation group (Last 3/6/12 months) that I'm using as a slicer in my report.  This is working great until I want to show a cumulative calculation.     I've tried multiple scenarios, excluding measure from calculation group, using ALL vs ALLSELECTED in measure and all product incorrect results.

Calculation Group Item ( this is for the Last 12 months, but have the same for 3 & 6 months)

VAR _max =
    EDATE(
        CALCULATE(
            MAX( 'Accounting Period'[Start Date] ),
            FILTER( ALL( 'Accounting Period' ), 'Accounting Period'[Is Current Month] = 1 )
        ),
VAR _type = -12
VAR _min = DATE( YEAR( _max ), MONTH( _max ) + _type, 1 )
RETURN
    IF(
        SELECTEDMEASURENAME( ) = "Net New Deals",
        CALCULATE(
            SELECTEDMEASURE( ),            
            FILTER('Accounting Period', 'Accounting Period'[Start Date] < _max && 'Accounting Period'[Start Date] >= _min ),
            USERELATIONSHIP( 'Accounting Period'[AccountingPeriodKey], Opportunity[CreatedDateAccountingPeriodKey] )
        ),
        CALCULATE(
            SELECTEDMEASURE( ),
            FILTER( 'Accounting Period', 'Accounting Period'[Start Date] < _max && 'Accounting Period'[Start Date] >= _min )
        )
    )

Measures:

Net New Deals = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNTNOBLANK(Opportunity[Id]),Opportunity[Type]="New Business")

Cumulative Net New Deals =  
var maxAccountingPeriodKey = CALCULATE(max('Accounting Period'[AccountingPeriodKey]),ALLSELECTED('Accounting Period'))
return CALCULATE([Net New Deals],Filter(ALL('Accounting Period'),'Accounting Period'[AccountingPeriodKey]<=maxAccountingPeriodKey),USERELATIONSHIP('Accounting Period'[AccountingPeriodKey],Opportunity[CreatedDateAccountingPeriodKey]))

The above returns the same value for cumulative:

no change.PNG

I've also tried the following options with results notated:
Replaced ALLSELECTED with ALL in Cumulative Net New Deals, which returns
withall.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I ended up getting this to work by making the following changes:  

var max_created_date = calculate(max(Opportunity[CreatedDateAccountingPeriodKey]),all(Opportunity))
return if(SELECTEDVALUE('Accounting Period'[AccountingPeriodKey])<=max_created_date,CALCULATE([Net New Deals], filter(ALLSELECTED('Accounting Period'), 'Accounting Period'[AccountingPeriodKey] <= max('Accounting Period'[AccountingPeriodKey]))))

The change here was to get the max data value from the Opportunity instead of the Accounting Period table so that the result wasn't including periods that weren't selected in the slicer.

VAR _max =
    EDATE(
        CALCULATE(
            FILTER( ALLSELECTED( 'Accounting Period' ), 'Accounting Period'[End Date] = EOMONTH( NOW( ), -1 ) )
        ),
    )
VAR _type = -6
RETURN
    CALCULATE(
        SELECTEDMEASURE( ),
        FILTER(
            ALLNOBLANKROW( 'Accounting Period'[Start Date] ),
            'Accounting Period'[Start Date] < _max && 'Accounting Period'[Start Date] >= _min
        )
    )

For the calculation group item, I was able to simplify and remove logic based on cumulative vs non-cumulative measure and it works for both scenarios.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
swindhorst
Frequent Visitor

Correct result should be: 
Accounting Period | Net New Deals | Cumulative Net New Deals 
Aug 2022               |        10              |         10
Sept 2022              |         11             |          21 
Oct 2022               |           5              |         26 

I ended up getting this to work by making the following changes:  

var max_created_date = calculate(max(Opportunity[CreatedDateAccountingPeriodKey]),all(Opportunity))
return if(SELECTEDVALUE('Accounting Period'[AccountingPeriodKey])<=max_created_date,CALCULATE([Net New Deals], filter(ALLSELECTED('Accounting Period'), 'Accounting Period'[AccountingPeriodKey] <= max('Accounting Period'[AccountingPeriodKey]))))

The change here was to get the max data value from the Opportunity instead of the Accounting Period table so that the result wasn't including periods that weren't selected in the slicer.

VAR _max =
    EDATE(
        CALCULATE(
            FILTER( ALLSELECTED( 'Accounting Period' ), 'Accounting Period'[End Date] = EOMONTH( NOW( ), -1 ) )
        ),
    )
VAR _type = -6
RETURN
    CALCULATE(
        SELECTEDMEASURE( ),
        FILTER(
            ALLNOBLANKROW( 'Accounting Period'[Start Date] ),
            'Accounting Period'[Start Date] < _max && 'Accounting Period'[Start Date] >= _min
        )
    )

For the calculation group item, I was able to simplify and remove logic based on cumulative vs non-cumulative measure and it works for both scenarios.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.