Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

chitti5
Helper I
Helper I

Completed Project - Missing Dates

Hi,

I have the data from 2017 and it has like 700 projects completed with missing project completion dates. I can't add the completion date manually for all 700 projects and I don't even know their exact date of completion. I need a DAX measure or any calculated column to apply so that I can add the missing dates with any random dates to work on my power bi report. Please help.

Here is the screenshot of the sample data.

chitti5_0-1715378542947.png

5 REPLIES 5
mh2587
Super User
Super User

Random Completion Date = // Try this one 
IF(ISBLANK([Completion Date]),
    DATE(2017, 1, 1) + RANDBETWEEN(0, 365 * (2024 - 2017)),  -- Random date between 2017 and 2024
    DATE(
        2017 + RANDBETWEEN(0, 7),  -- Random year between 2017 and 2024
        RANDBETWEEN(1, 12),         -- Random month
        RANDBETWEEN(1, 28)          -- Random day
    )
)

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn Icon
Muhammad Hasnain

@danextian @mh2587 I tried both your formulas and it worked. The only issue I have is all the random completed dates are showing even before it's start date. Please suggest if I should add anything to the existing formula to show the random completed dates after the start date.

IMG_7427.jpg

You can add a random number to an existing date if status is completed and date is blank

IF (
    'table'[status] = "completed"
        && ISBLANK ( 'table'[end date] ),
    'table'[end date] + RANDBETWEEN ( 7, 365 ),
    'table'[end date]
)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

@mh2587 Hi, Thank you for the reply. There is another column in the table with "Status" of the project. The Completion date column has many blanks which also includes blanks for the Status "Active" projects and I want that to remain blank itself since they are currently active in system. So is there any DAX measure which can show the missing dates of the completed dates column for only "Completed" status and not for other status.

chitti5_0-1715387528793.png

Thank you!

You can add a condition to @mh2587 's formula. IF ('table'[status] = "Completed", <formula>)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.