Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bayes
Frequent Visitor

Calculate function with a filter based on another measures's value- fiscal month

Hello, our company is using fiscal months. The length of these periods are set up randomly without any kind of logic. This is how the past year looks like: 5-4-4-4-5-4-4-5-4-5-4-4 weeks in each month (hence, no option to write a logic function).

Now I need to create formulars for the fiscal LY and YTD.

Firstly, what I did is I added a Fiscal month Name, Year and Monthyear column to each date in the calendar table.

Then I created a Measure [Fiscal Month Year Num Returned], that returns a month and a previous year based on selected month from the slicer. In my example, the user selects FiscalMonthYear: "Apr-18", and the measure returns the value "42017" (which is month 4 plus year 2018 minus 1). I want to use this measure tocalculate a value for the same fiscal month of the last year.

Here is what I got so far:

Revenue Prior Year = CALCULATE([Revenue],FILTER(ALL('Calendar'),'Calendar'[FiscalMonthYearNum]=VALUE('Calendar'[Fiscal Month Year Num Returned]))), where FiscalMonthYearNum is the column from the query  and [Fiscal Month Year Num Returned] is the measure that returns the value 42017. I want the table to sum Revenue only for the dates that are marked "42017" in the column FiscalMonthYearNum.

However this function does not work. Any idea how to fix it? I tried a lot of different functions but did not make it work..:(

Also, any suggestions on how to create a YTD formula for my scenario?

Capture2.PNGCapture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bayes
Frequent Visitor

This formula below worked as a solution. Where FiscalMonthYearNum is month number+year (42018 for April 2018). And PreviousFiscalMonthYearNum = FiscalMonthYearNum-1 (42017 for April 2017) Revenue Prior Year = CALCULATE([Revenue], FILTER ( ALL ( 'Calendar - new' ), CONTAINS ( VALUES ( 'Calendar - new'[PreviousFiscalMonthYearNum] ), 'Calendar - new'[PreviousFiscalMonthYearNum], 'Calendar - new'[FiscalMonthYearNum] ) ) )

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@ bayes

You can try to use SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR function and DATESBETWEEN function like below:

Measure 3 = CALCULATE(SUM(Table2[Qty]),DATESBETWEEN('Calendar'[Date],SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(LASTDATE('Calendar'[Date])),LASTDATE('Calendar'[Date])))

Result:

2.png

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Unfortunately, this formula returns incorrect amounts.. Last period should somehow be controlled by the FiscalYearMonth column

bayes
Frequent Visitor

This formula below worked as a solution. Where FiscalMonthYearNum is month number+year (42018 for April 2018). And PreviousFiscalMonthYearNum = FiscalMonthYearNum-1 (42017 for April 2017) Revenue Prior Year = CALCULATE([Revenue], FILTER ( ALL ( 'Calendar - new' ), CONTAINS ( VALUES ( 'Calendar - new'[PreviousFiscalMonthYearNum] ), 'Calendar - new'[PreviousFiscalMonthYearNum], 'Calendar - new'[FiscalMonthYearNum] ) ) )
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@ bayes

After my research, you may use var function in your measure like below:

Revenue Prior Year = 
VAR Fiscal=[Fiscal Month Year Num Returned]  RETURN
CALCULATE (
    SUM(Table2[Qty]),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( 'Calendar' ),
        'Calendar'[Fiscal almonthyearnum]
            = Fiscal
    )
)

For example

Basic data

2.png

Result:

3.png

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lin, that worked! You are a genius 🙂 However, I noticed that using a [Fiscal Month Year Num Returned] measure has it's limitations: I cannot have multiple month selection and I can't use it to return values when the Fiscal MonthYear is used as a row or a column not a slicer. Do you know what solution will work to return Revenue Prior Year based on a column or row. For example, if I needed to display Revenue Prior Year as a column next to Revenue from the screenshot below:Capture.PNG

Thanks in advance,

Katya 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.