Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Godseyma

Building Relationship with tables that do not align.

So my company is asking me to compare actual vs budgeted data however the budgeted data table has columns that either do not match or when paired with the Actual data table form a many to many relationship.  I have the Actuals table linked to a calender, customers table, and a item master table and the budgeted data linked to the calender and the customers table. How do I go about linking the Actuals and the budgeted tables together? I am trying to link them on the customers column however the many to many relationship keeps getting in the way. Help please!!!!! Have a blessed day! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@Godseyma,

The Actuals table and Budget table should not have a relationship with each other. Fact tables should have a relationship with dimension tables, and dimension tables should be used in visuals and filters. Since the Actuals table and Budget table are both linked to the customers table, you can put fields from the customers table in a visual and see both actual and budget amounts.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@Godseyma,

The Actuals table and Budget table should not have a relationship with each other. Fact tables should have a relationship with dimension tables, and dimension tables should be used in visuals and filters. Since the Actuals table and Budget table are both linked to the customers table, you can put fields from the customers table in a visual and see both actual and budget amounts.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.