Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

bbbbi01
Helper II
Helper II

Append query - extra column appear

Hi,

I am having a problem with appending queries. 

I have 4 tables that I imported from excel. I want to combine all the tables and have them as one table. The attributes inside each table are year, state, sales and so on. In the new table, i was supposed to have 5 columns but I found i had 6. The extra column appeared as Sales, but showing null in each cell. 

I really don't know where the mistake is. I checked the original 4 tables and the 5 columns. Nothing wrong. Does anyone know what happened?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel29195
Super User
Super User

@bbbbi01 

make sure that all the columns for all the excels are named the same and make sure also that the data type of columns for all excels are the same,

let me know if this helps .

If my answer helped sort things out for you, i would appreciate a thumbs up 👍 and mark it as the solution
It makes a difference and might help someone else too. Thanks for spreading the good vibes! 🤠

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@bbbbi01 

Power Query is case sensitive make sure your column names in all tables are the same, I see "sales" and "Sales". S is capital in one and not in the other.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

wini_R
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @bbbbi01,

It sounds like one of the Sales columns has different name than the others, ie. it includes some invisible character at the end of the name, etc. Please make sure it's not the case and append tables again.

Daniel29195
Super User
Super User

@bbbbi01 

make sure that all the columns for all the excels are named the same and make sure also that the data type of columns for all excels are the same,

let me know if this helps .

If my answer helped sort things out for you, i would appreciate a thumbs up 👍 and mark it as the solution
It makes a difference and might help someone else too. Thanks for spreading the good vibes! 🤠

Thank you! I chekced what you mentioned and it finally worked out!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.