Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

igorplotnikov
Frequent Visitor

Any table with dynamic columns turns into static in the model.bim file

I came across a problem that seems unsolvable at this point. I use .pbip files with version control and classic deployment pipelines to publish reports. The thing is, any dynamic table in power query that has an unknown number of columns in advance and that I retrieve by pivoting becomes static in the data model. So when adding new columns, this table is not enriched because its schema is hardcoded in the model.bim file. An attempt to move the pivoting part from the Power Query level to the DAX level did not work. Maybe you have some ideas what can be done about this and how can truly dynamic tables be implemented in power BI? Thank you for your time in advance.

image (16).png

3 REPLIES 3
igorplotnikov
Frequent Visitor

@v-rongtiep-msft Do you have any ideas though?

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @igorplotnikov ,

The first thing you need to understand is that the  calculated column is a static value added to a table, calculated row by row when you load the data. In contrast, a measure is a dynamic value that changes based on what you’re looking at in a report, calculated on the fly within the filter context of a visual.

Please learn more about columns and measures.

Understanding Measures vs Calculated Columns in Power BI (gorilla.bi)

Then you can  create dynamic tables in Power BI using DAX. I have found a document about creating dynamic tables.Dynamically Create Tables in Power BI with DAX Functions (mssqltips.com)

There is also a similar post, please refer to.

Solved: Create Dynamic Matrix Table - Microsoft Fabric Community

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Microsoft Fabric Community

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-rongtiep-msft Here is the deal: I have a table that initially looks like this (the screenshot). I want it to be pivoted by column_name and filled with values respectively. I don't know in advance how many columns this pivoted table will have, and another refresh can bring even more of them. So I cannot specify their names explicitly in a DAX formula like you suggested.

And as I mentioned, being pivoted in Power Query and refreshed once, the table gets its schema hardcoded and never changed anymore, even if new columns from new records are created over time.

Will be thankful for any valid ideas.

Screenshot 2024-03-20 213701.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.