Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

DuncanJ

Copy data into lakehouse and warehouse - append or overwrite

When creating a data pipeline that copies data into a lakehouse, I can choose whether to Append or Overwrite data. If I choose to Overwrite, repeated runs of the pipeline do not create duplicate records.

However, there is no option to Append or Overwrite when creating a data pipeline that copies data into a warehouse. As a result, repeated runs of the pipeline create duplicate records in the warehouse.

Lakehouse.JPGWarehouse.JPG

Shouldn't the option to Append or Overwrite be present in the warehouse experience too?

Or have I misunderstood the intent? Any wisdom appreciated.

Thank you

Duncan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Duncan,

I agree with you ) That's why it is in preview mode for now.

I hope the Microsoft team sees your post and fixes this small but very important issue! !

To be honest, I didn't notice it before.)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DuncanJ

Continuing to explore this issue by reading

Tables in data warehousing in Microsoft Fabric 

Primary keys, foreign keys, and unique keys in Warehouse in Microsoft Fabric 

I thought it may be that the copy data into warehouse activity would automatically upsert based on keys in the target, but multiple runs of the pipeline result in duplicated data. May be because the constraints have to be declared as NOT ENFORCED. Makes sense, becaue the Limitations say unique indexes are not currently supported.

Perhaps when the need to declare a primary key as NOT ENFORCED is removed in due course, upsert will happen automatically.

In the meantime, using the copy activity into a lakehouse works as expected. And I can PBI off that.

So much to learn!

DuncanJ

Thank you Majid!

You welcome, Duncan !

Majid_
Frequent Visitor

Hi Duncan !

Yes you absolutely right. There is no option to overwrite data like in Data Lakehouse.

In alternative way you can use staging tables to do all transformations.

Thank you Majid. 

I don't understand why there is no option to overwrite data though. If it makes sense to have the option with a lakehouse, doesn't it makse sense to have the option with a warehouse? Then it would be trivial to keep the data in sync between e.g. Azure SQL Databases and a warehouse.

In other words, I think it would greaet to have the copy data activity be consistent irrespective of destination ... lakehouse or warehouse ... or am I completely missing the basic concept here? 🙂

Thanks

Duncan

Duncan,

I agree with you ) That's why it is in preview mode for now.

I hope the Microsoft team sees your post and fixes this small but very important issue! !

To be honest, I didn't notice it before.)

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayFBCUpdateCarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors