Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get end of the selected month in a column

Edited

Thanks to @Greg_Deckler @amitchandak ,

I've made a Aged tickets category as a different table and successfully assigned the value in it.

Capture.PNG

aged max date = 
    CALCULATE(
        SELECTEDVALUE('Aged Tickets'[Days], BLANK()), 
        FILTER(ALL('Aged Tickets'), 
            [Aged Tickets Days] >= 'Aged Tickets'[Min] && 
            [Aged Tickets Days] <= 'Aged Tickets'[Max])
    )

Capture1.PNG

Now I'm trying to count the rows but it looks like a new measure or column doesn't read the value in the [Aged Tickets Days] at all. 

Capture.PNG

I attach a sample file this time, if you could look at this would be much appreciated!

Data link 

Hi,

I've been trying to get a time duration based on a user month selection and I've managed to do with a measure but I realised that the measure only returns a single value, not very suitable to organize aged tickets matrix ("< 30 days", "30 - 60 days", "60+ days"...).

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Aged-tickets-calculation-using-measure/m-p/13...

Now I came back to creating a column, want to know how to get a variable changing to the end of the selected month.

For example, if you look at the "aged test" column I want to get the _max value to be June 30th, 2020 for all rows so it will calculate how many days it has been since the ticket created IF the ticket is not closed yet. (Only for row with "Closed Date" empty)

Capture1.PNG

"Aged Tickets Days" shows the correct result but since it is a measure, I found it difficult to utilize.

I've tried DAX like,

var _max = CALCULATE(ENDOFMONTH(DateKey[Date]), ALLEXCEPT(DateKey, DateKey[Date]))
var _max = CALCULATE(ENDOFMONTH(DateKey[Date]), FILTER(ALL(DateKey[Date]), MONTH(DateKey[Date]) = SELECTEDVALUE(DateKey[Date])))
var _max = CALCULATE(MAXX(DateKey, DateKey[Date]))
and more...

but none of them worked as I expected.

Thank you so much for your time, any help would be appreciated 🙂 

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - A calculated column is only calculated at the time of data load/refresh. Therefore, it cannot be dynamic based upon a slicer selection. I believe what you want is a disconnected table with your buckets. You can put that into your visual and have your measure take it into account. For example:

Measure =
  VAR __Table = ADDCOLUMNS('Table',"Measure",[Measure])
RETURN
  SWITCH('DisconnectedTable'[Column],
    "< 30 days",COUNTROWS(FILTER__Table,[Measure]<30)),
    "30 - 60 days",COUNTROWS(FILTER(__Table,[Measure]>=30 && [Measure]<=60)),
    COUNTROWS(FILTER__Table,[Measure]>60))
  )

In general, to use a measure in that way, you need to use the Disconnected Table Trick as this article demonstrates: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Solving-Attendance-with-the-Disconnected-Table-Trick/ba-p/279563

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Kudoed Authors