Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

gmcalister
Frequent Visitor

Dax formula to show value for the endo of month or max date.

Hi,

I am trying to write a formula that shows a value for either the end of the month or the max date based on a filter.

The formula shows the value for the end of month ("EOM") but it will not work for the max date ("MAX").

gmcalister_0-1657629533698.png

My formula reads as follows:

Current Stock Value =
VAR MaxDate =
MAX('Date Table'[Date])

VAR EOM =
ENDOFMONTH('Date Table'[Date])
RETURN

SWITCH(
TRUE(),
'Inventory Management: Tableau Data Source'[Calendar Day] = MaxDate, "MAX",
'Inventory Management: Tableau Data Source'[Calendar Day] = EOM,"EOM",
BLANK()
)

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gmcalister ,

According to your description, I guess the Current Stock Value is a calculated column in your sample, as in measure, if you want to refer to a column, you need to add MAX/MIN/SUM before the column.

vkalyjmsft_0-1658128481997.png

A calculated column can't recognize the selected date in a slicer, in other words, calculated column can't dynamically change by a slicer, it only change when the report refresh.

Additionally, if the two tables have relationship, based on the context, MAX('Date Table'[Date]) wil not return the max value in the slicer, replace it with MAXX ( ALLSELECTED('Date Table'),'Date Table'[Date] ).

Here's my solution, create a measure.

Current Stock Value =
VAR MaxDate =
    MAXX ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Date Table' ), 'Date Table'[Date] )
VAR EOM =
    ENDOFMONTH ( 'Date Table'[Date] )
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        MAX ( 'Inventory Management: Tableau Data Source'[Calendar Day] ) = MaxDate, "MAX",
        MAX ( 'Inventory Management: Tableau Data Source'[Calendar Day] ) = EOM
            && EOM <> BLANK (), "EOM",
        BLANK ()
    )

Get the correct result.

vkalyjmsft_1-1658130021239.png

I attach my sample below for reference.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please considerAccept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gmcalister ,

According to your description, I guess the Current Stock Value is a calculated column in your sample, as in measure, if you want to refer to a column, you need to add MAX/MIN/SUM before the column.

vkalyjmsft_0-1658128481997.png

A calculated column can't recognize the selected date in a slicer, in other words, calculated column can't dynamically change by a slicer, it only change when the report refresh.

Additionally, if the two tables have relationship, based on the context, MAX('Date Table'[Date]) wil not return the max value in the slicer, replace it with MAXX ( ALLSELECTED('Date Table'),'Date Table'[Date] ).

Here's my solution, create a measure.

Current Stock Value =
VAR MaxDate =
    MAXX ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Date Table' ), 'Date Table'[Date] )
VAR EOM =
    ENDOFMONTH ( 'Date Table'[Date] )
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        MAX ( 'Inventory Management: Tableau Data Source'[Calendar Day] ) = MaxDate, "MAX",
        MAX ( 'Inventory Management: Tableau Data Source'[Calendar Day] ) = EOM
            && EOM <> BLANK (), "EOM",
        BLANK ()
    )

Get the correct result.

vkalyjmsft_1-1658130021239.png

I attach my sample below for reference.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please considerAccept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

johnt75
Super User
Super User

Try changing the measure to just return MaxDate, that might shed some light on what is going on.

Hi Johnt75,

It returns a blank. It is almost as if it doesn't recognise that the 2 dates are the same.

gmcalister_0-1657637717796.png

I presume that you have a one-to-many relationship from the Date table to your inventory table, in which case I don't think the date from inventory can filter back to Date. Try changing in your measure code to use 'Date'[Date] instead of the inventory date, and use 'Date'[Date] in your visual too

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors