Hello QlikView Developers

[ Edited ]

Any QlikView users here who are trying out PowerBI?

I have 5+ years QlikView experience and have been trying PowerBI for a few weeks now. It has been really an eyeopener so far Smiley Happy

Re: Hello QlikView Developers

Hi there - not a QlikView developer myself, nor do I know a great deal about QlikView for that matter, but keen to get your feedback.

I have seen QlikView a few times in the past and it always went down well with our customers and I guess I'm wondering about your Power BI experience so far in comparison; what're the differentiators; where you would choose Power BI over QlikView etc.

[ Edited ]

Below i will write what i currently can thing about. I will updated my experience again in a few weeks. Some things i still need to find out if its possible in PowerBI. It's just to illustrate the things i'm currently "struggling" with Smiley Happy

I started with a QlikView model which has quite some ETL logic in it. My goal was to build the same model in PowerBI. Cause i was not familier with PowerBI at all, it took me a few days. But in the end you managed to get the complete model in and without handly any manual coding, while QlikView i had to do it with 100% coding. For example : Reading out a folder and import all CSV is very easy. Also like that you can link two date fields to the same calender and do a calculation on the desired date dimension. Simply things which make my life as a developer more easy and keep the app more maintainable. Doing YTD calculation is also more easy.

Also really like the part where you can create ETL steps per table and preview the data per step. In QlikView i would do this less central and i will not have preview data of the ETL. Plus all the tables are refreshed multi threaded. In QlikView each table will be reloaded seperatly and completly. In PowerBI only the needed tables are refreshed. 

The intergration of all the data sources is awesome. In QlikView you would need to buy QVSource for this.

QlikView is all about memory consumption and during development is have to keep this in mind (datamodel optimalisation). There are quite some best practices in this. I need to find how to optimize PowerBI in these things.

Really like to experiance how PowerBI handles big volumes of data. And how it works in enterprise enviroments (security and browse speed experiance).

The community support of QlikView is great. But i see alot of activity on this forum. Hope the support keeps growing fast. I also see actually developers/peope working on the product give a reaction on threats. 

Some things below which are not in PowerBI as fas as i know right now (some are planned and some have already been raised as idea)

* Server on premises: I know PowerBI is working on this, but its unclear what the license price model for this is/will be. For Qlik Sense the price is about 3700 euro. That includs the server software and 5 tokens (unlimited usage for 1 user). Price for QlikView is much higher. Each token will be 1100 euro after that.

* 10GB in the cloud is quite good, but 250mb per datamodel is not that much. I hope this will be upgraded soon or that i will be possible to pay for an upgrade.

* global slicers are not available. On both sheet level and dashboard level (link two data models based on year for example)

* expanded matrix is not available yet

* not possible to export to excel 

Overall, i'm looking forward where PowerBI is going to. I'm going to find a PowerBI asap Smiley Happy

Below i will write what i currently can thing about. I will updated my experience again in a few weeks. Some things i still need to find out if its possible in PowerBI. It's just to illustrate the things i'm currently "struggling" with Smiley Happy

I started with a QlikView model which has quite some ETL logic in it. My goal was to build the same model in PowerBI. Cause i was not familier with PowerBI at all, it took me a few days. But in the end you managed to get the complete model in and without handly any manual coding, while QlikView i had to do it with 100% coding. For example : Reading out a folder and import all CSV is very easy. Also like that you can link two date fields to the same calender and do a calculation on the desired date dimension. Simply things which make my life as a developer more easy and keep the app more maintainable. Doing YTD calculation is also more easy.

Also really like the part where you can create ETL steps per table and preview the data per step. In QlikView i would do this less central and i will not have preview data of the ETL. Plus all the tables are refreshed multi threaded. In QlikView each table will be reloaded seperatly and completly. In PowerBI only the needed tables are refreshed. 

The intergration of all the data sources is awesome. In QlikView you would need to buy QVSource for this.

QlikView is all about memory consumption and during development is have to keep this in mind (datamodel optimalisation). There are quite some best practices in this. I need to find how to optimize PowerBI in these things.

Really like to experiance how PowerBI handles big volumes of data. And how it works in enterprise enviroments (security and browse speed experiance).

The community support of QlikView is great. But i see alot of activity on this forum. Hope the support keeps growing fast. I also see actually developers/peope working on the product give a reaction on threats. 

Also looking for same of QlikView 

Some things below which are not in PowerBI as fas as i know right now (some are planned and some have already been raised as idea)

* Server on premises: I know PowerBI is working on this, but its unclear what the license price model for this is/will be. For Qlik Sense the price is about 3700 euro. That includs the server software and 5 tokens (unlimited usage for 1 user). Price for QlikView is much higher. Each token will be 1100 euro after that.

* 10GB in the cloud is quite good, but 250mb per datamodel is not that much. I hope this will be upgraded soon or that i will be possible to pay for an upgrade.

* global slicers are not available. On both sheet level and dashboard level (link two data models based on year for example)

* expanded matrix is not available yet

* not possible to export to excel 

Overall, i'm looking forward where PowerBI is going to. I'm going to find a PowerBI asap Smiley Happy

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response :-) much appreciated.

Though I suspect many of the things people are currently saying are 'missing' or 'lacking' in Power BI will surely come in the near future.

Regular Visitor

Hello back to you. I've been a QV developer since version 7, and am learning the ropes while building out a new environment. This early, I don't have any intelligent feedback to share, though hopefully that will change with time.

-Frank C

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Amien for sharing your findings and opinion!