Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

why is my refresh failing? and sometimes disabling the refresh schedule?

I have a report that is published online for multple users to see.  It is connected to some SQL tables and some CSVs.

Its setup using a gateway for the sql tables, and service account credentials for the csvs storing in sharepoint.

The refresh fails ALL the time.  The error just says "The last refresh attempt failed because of an internal service error."

That obviously leads me to believe it is a problem on PowerBI's side.  It works fine most of the time, but it seems at least once a day it stops updating.

Sometimes it just turns off the schedule refresh.

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't just assume its a PowerBI fault for the refresh failure.  You will want to consider all of the variables that go into making a refresh happen.

For example, you might have a dataset in Power BI that connects via a Gateway to a Database Warehouse.  If your refresh is occuring at peak periods, your database might not be responding appropriately.  The gateway might be overloaded.  The data warehouse could be in the middle of an update process.  What version of the on-premise gateway is in use, is it up to date?

How long does a usual refresh take? Is it quick (2 minutes or less)? Is it slow (10 minutes plus)?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors