Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

redaho
Frequent Visitor

track public report URL to know how many visits

Hi all,

I am not sure it's possible at the moment, but is there any way to know how many views gets a report published to web?

Let me explain: when I publish to web, I have access to an url.

I use a url shortener to share that url in my blog. So I know how many visits I have from that, either thanks to the url shortener services or through google analytics.

HOWEVER, I do not know if people use the social sharing option, or simply share the real url, hence generating more visits to the DIRECT link (and not the shortened one I share in my blog).

Is there any way to track the visits to the public report's url?

Thanks in advance!

10 REPLIES 10
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @redaho,

Current power bi not support the track the published url.

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you use google analysis to analysis the published url data and get data from these analysed data.

Operation steps:

1. Publish the chosen report to web and copy the shared url link.

2. Use google analysis service to analysis above url.

3. Use power bi desktop to get data from google analysis and create the related report.

Reference blog:

Power BI + Google Analytics = Power Analytics

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your answer however I'm a bit surprised that we can analyze non-proprietary URL with Google analytics.

Can you please develop your step 2 - Use google analysis service to analysis above url.
How do we do that?

Thanks.

Hi @redaho,

By further test, I found the google analytics service seems not support the url which generated by "publish to web".(not support "?" character)

You can use share dashboard with the users, then track the share dashboard link.

Reference link:

Get started with Analytics

Regard,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft

Thanks for your feedback, however I don't think it answers my need.

I have a public report (not a dashboard) URL : https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiMThiYmI2ZGItYTY5MS00NDkxLWJhMTktNDUzMjhkYTkwMjU5IiwidCI6Ijk2O...

And I want to track the visits to that public report.

Could you please advise if it's possible? How is this possible with google analytics?

Thanks in advance.

Réda

Hi,

I am facing the same requirement. Did you find a way around it?

Hi there

As far as I know there is no way to track this.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thank you for your reply. My getaround solution is to embedded the PBI URL to a website page that GA can track the usage.

Hi there

That makes sense and I think is the only way to track it.

Power BI Blog

Hi @redaho,

>>Could you please advise if it's possible? How is this possible with google analytics?

Google analytics not support url string with "?". So you need to find another way to deal with your requirement.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @redaho

As far as I am personally aware, this currently cannot be tracked.

Due to the URL being owned by Microsoft and the Power BI Service.

I would think that they would possibly have to find a way to release this information for each Power BI URL.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors