Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Karim_Hossam
Employee
Employee

sharing power bi premium reports with external users

Hi,

if I am want to share a report/dashboard backed up by premium capacity (as I am using Power Bi premium) with external users (outside my organization) using normal sharing technique (share, email, send... not using azure B2B method) . will the power BI premium advantage (ability to share dashboard with free users) apply to them too ? or it is only applied for free people inside my organization.?

To summarize:

what would be the difference if I sharing a report and I am using power Bi premium with a  power Bi free external users and power Bi pro external users

another question, will they  be able to subscribe to the dashboard ...and we notified by mail if a change  happened in the data? 

Thnaks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

With regards to using Power BI Premium it will work the same for both internal and external users.

As well as also being able to subscribe and get notified via email.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

With regards to using Power BI Premium it will work the same for both internal and external users.

As well as also being able to subscribe and get notified via email.

Power BI Blog

I share a report backed by premium Capacity Workspace to users outside my organization using "Share" button. But users could not see the report. They got error saying " Sorry, we couldnt find that report". 

Note: the users dont have Pro licenses.... hould users have pro license even when the report is backed by premium capacity?

Thanks  

Hi there

You have to share via an App with Premium Capacity to free users, it will not work using the Share Button

Power BI Blog

Thanks for getting back to me... Power BI allows only one App per WorkSpace. If I Share a content to external via App, wouldn’t the user now have access to other reports and Dashboards in the App workSpace? 

Yes that is correct, you would have to configure the apps with the relevant dashboards.

Power BI Blog

I found another way to do it without Pro license or through App workspace:

First, invite external users to your Azure Active Directory as "Guest Users" 

Then go to the report or Dashboard in your WorkSpace and click on "Share" 

Enter users emails, copy the report Link and send to them.

Note:
*Users Must accept Azure invitation then Power BI report Invitation. 
*They must user the report URL link to access the share report.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cifedinma I am in a similar position to the OP but after reading all the replies I am still not entirely sure that I have understood correctly and it sounds like you may be able give a categorical answer if you have time to please? Just a yes/no to each statement below would be really helpful as my IT team want clarification before they will attempt any kind of solution.

• You have workspaces in Premium Capacity
  • You added external guests to Azure AD and did not  grant them any kind of Power BI license from your tenant
  • You were able to share an app from a workspace in Premium Capacity with an external guest who did not have a Power BI Pro license
  • You were able to share an individual report/dashboard from a workspace in Premium Capacity with an external guest who did not have a Power BI Pro license

If all the above statements are true you will be making my day!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors