Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RMV
Helper V
Helper V

sharing dashboard to external users

Hi,

Can we share dashboard to external users with email address mentioned corporate address (for example: companyname.co.id) which is based in google apps?

We got a feedback from the person that he hasn't received email invitation, while the invitation was submitted without error.

Really appreciate any help

Regards

10 REPLIES 10
erincon
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi all,

I have the same problem mentioned in this thread

I share a dashboard with someone outside my organization.
The user receives the invitation email, but:
- when he logs-in PowerBI.com, he don't see the shared report.
- when he click on the url to the shared reports, he sees a message saying that the report do not exists or no longer is available.

The person that shares the report, sees that the user don't have access (the message in the share-report option is "cancel invitation"). Other users in my organization are listed as "read and share again".

The person is outside my organization.
His company have a E3 subscription, so he don't have access to E5, that is needed for PowerBI Pro.
he is enroled in the trial period for PowerBI Pro (60 days), and is listed as PowerBI Pro User.

Can anybody help me, please?

Thank you,

Eladio

Gnanasekar
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @RMV

If you share dashboard in outside organization, they won't get email invitation. Email invitation is available only in inside organization users.

By

Gnanasekar

Hi @Gnanasekar,

Other external users we invited received email invitation perfectly.

I believe they have to follow the link sent via the email to go to the external dashboard shared with them, and then they can save the link in their bookmark. This is what I learn from the tutorial.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,

Hi @RMV

I get back my words. The external users also get email invitation. 

1.Please check his junk email or delete email. It is not a Power BI services problem.

2.Can you conform in your Power BI service you shared to them or not.

Hi @Gnanasekar,

1. He could not find the email in Junk mail or Deleted folders.

2. I checked the Access list, the name is there, but shown as if they haven't entered the dashboard.

Is there other place i have to look into?

Hi @RMV

Can you check in Access list, near by his name should be in 'Can View'. If it is different they may not get dashboards and mail.

Unshare and share again to that person.

By

Gnanasekar

Hi @Gnanasekar,

it said Cancel Invite.

I though Can View shows that the respective person has entered the dashboard after he's invited.

Cancel Invite shows that the respective person has not entered the dashboard.

I don't think we can assume that he didn't receive email invitation, do you think so?

@RMV

Yeah correct. 

I think he wasn't login power bi services one time also.

Please inform him, login to power bi service. then only he can get notifications and invitations from power bi team.

Only 'Can View' can get dashboard and its invitations.

By

Gnanasekar

Hi @Gnanasekar,

I don't think that's the case.

Others who hadn't sign up for power bi before, can still receive email invitation from us and accessed the dashboard perfectly with the link sent from the email invitation.

Even external users who are not in Power BI should get the invitation.

@RMV - a few questions:

Is your recipient getting other emails to his inbox from external organizations?

Is he added as a B2B user to your organization? If you do not know what B2B is, then do the following steps:

1. Go to the access pane, remove him.
  2. Go back to share, enter his name and see whether Power BI autocompletes his name. If it does, then he is a B2B user and that flow is not supported yet.
Senior Program Manager,
Power BI, Microsoft.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors