Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tespinal
Frequent Visitor

row level security

Good Afternoon,

I was testing out RLS with my supervisor today. I added her to my role and checked to verify everything was working. I then removed her from the role and everything errored out. I assume that make sense because my guess PBI was viewing it as this person can no longer view the dashboard. I then removed her from sharing, then reshared the dashboard and she still couldn't see the dashboard. I then pulled the whole dashboard down and republished it, and she still couldn't see the dashboard. Finally, I pulled the dashboard down, delted the role, and republished, but she STILL couldn't see the dashboard.

Can anyone explain what is happening?

I tried sharing the same dashboard with another user to see if sharing was the issue, but everything worked when I shared with the new user. 

Any help would be appreciated!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
tespinal
Frequent Visitor

Update:

I was able to solve the problem by pulling everything down from the affected report from Power BI online (dashboard, report, and dataset). When I republished the report after doing that, everything worked as normal. 

View solution in original post

@tespinalexactly right. No role = no data. No-filter role = all data. Filtered role = filtered data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
tespinal
Frequent Visitor

Update:

I was able to solve the problem by pulling everything down from the affected report from Power BI online (dashboard, report, and dataset). When I republished the report after doing that, everything worked as normal. 

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

After publishing,  you have to go to the dataset's Security settings and add each user to their role there. Sharing alone is not enough with RLS.

Thank you for the feedback. My issue is when I wanted to remove her from the role and grant her full access again. When I tried to reshare the dashboard, it didn't let her see anything. 

If you aren't assigned any role you won't see anything.

Understood, thanks for the tip. That will be helpful when I create future roles. 

You can create an "Admin" role with no filters for users who should have full access.

Fantastic! Thanks. That is going to help immensly. I'll need to create several roles in the near future. So if I create a limited role, then I need to assign a role to everyone whether or not they are in the limited role group? I.E if I create a limited role, then anyone I share a dashboard with will not see anything until I assign a role to them like the admin role?

@tespinalexactly right. No role = no data. No-filter role = all data. Filtered role = filtered data.

Got it. Thank you very much for all of your help!

You're welcome.

Now, if only I could figure out how my RLS has managed to somehow filter the results from one column of a table without filtering those same rows in any other column. That shouldn't even be possible...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors