Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

row level security - for many users

Hi,

Is there a way to set up access rights for many users at once or authomatically?
Im looking for some way how to manage access rights to big dataset, based on row level security.

I have group of 100 users and 3 level hierarchy of access rights (country level > division level > team level)
So far, I have created some roles manualy (just for testing), but I need some solution applicable to larger user groups and easily managable.

So I'm looking for some way how to connect security to some sort of datasource, which would contain information about access rights.

Thank you,

Zuzana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

I got your situation and tried to describe it as Dynamic RLS (row level security) with Power BI This is just one approach to achieve what we are calling dynamic data permission, so please feel free to reference and apply.

If this works for you please accept it as solution and also like to give KUDOS.

Best regards
Tri Nguyen

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

Would your users be part of an Active Directory Group?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @GilbertQ

yes, they are in active directory.  The information about country/division/team is held in internal app, so there may be posibility to get this to active directory, but I'm not sure how can PBI Service work with this..

Thanks,

Zuzana

Hi @Anonymous

If you could get it from your External App that would be best, but it would need to map to the UPN (User Principal Name) in Azure.

There is a connector to Active Directory in Power BI Desktop.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @GilbertQ,

thanks to your suggestion I actually found kind of solution. Instead of creating roles for each access level, I'll create new table with information about each user rights and join it with my main table. This new table can have datasource in some datawarehouse, that contains my App's data, so it can by authomaticaly updated when values in App get changed.

I created just one role with Table filter DAX expression [userlogin] = USERPRINCIPALNAME() and so far it looks like it might work.

Although I still think I'll need to put all the employees into this one group manualy. This is one step I'm still corcerned of 😕

Thanks for your help,

Zuzana

Hi @Anonymous,

I got your situation and tried to describe it as Dynamic RLS (row level security) with Power BI This is just one approach to achieve what we are calling dynamic data permission, so please feel free to reference and apply.

If this works for you please accept it as solution and also like to give KUDOS.

Best regards
Tri Nguyen

dilumd
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,

I think you should create only 3 user groups (i.e. country level > division level > team level) in power BI desktop and then you can add multiple users under security (datasets) in power BI service.

1.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we make this user adding part dynamic?

Hi there,

Yes that can be done as long as the users are part of an Active Directory or Azure Active Directory Security Group

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors