Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ericleigh007
Helper II
Helper II

refresh error messages can and should be a lot more useful

I'm going to say what I expect a LOT of PowerBI users might want to say, but still haven't, about the utility of the error messages on refesh failures.

Our reports have sometimes 10 data sources which are transformed and convreted and massaged in order to then display the useful information to our customers/peers/stakeholders.   In this situation, the error message:

Sharepoint Request failed.  The remote server returned an error ...

and

The 'FileSystemObjectType' column does not exist in the rowset.

Are not very useful, as they don't contain any information as to what sharepoint site is being accessed, in the first instance, or whether the problem might be related to sharepoint or something else in the 2nd.  The input and output data sets are probably known, but they aren't reported either..

The Power BI team should consider if more succinct and complete messases would help users to troubleshoot their problems and that the job of updating the error messages to be more actionable and or inclluding stack traces would in the long run save support and troubleshooting costs.  The mroe the users can be enabled to solving their own problems, the more the team can concentrate on real bugs and adding new features.

-thanks

-e

I think we would all like to hvae 

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ericleigh007,

Perhaps you can take a look at below link which contains the similar issue:

The 'HasUniqueRoleAssignments' column does not exist in the rowset.

For power bi exception trace, I'd like to suggest you submit an idea about this requirement.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello Sir,

I've reported other intermittent problems with the update earlier.  This post is not about that, but about the poor quality and actionability of the error messages provided.

IN all of my cases, the Desktop has worked great, and the service has failed for an unknown reason.

I've added the , MissingField.Ignore to any of my non-critical renames (renames that that Power Query autmoatically put there to avoid name clashes), I've reworekd some of my queries that could hvae been written better by the system, and all still work great in the desktop.

This post was about poor error meesges.

The post you referred to is about trying to work around the problem, and still complains of no useful error messages, so that enhances my point.

As for the ideas board, I found several seprate ideas for enhnacing error messages, but evidnetly the team has not seen them as a priority.  I voted up the ones that I thougtht made sense in hopes that the combined weight will create some priority for the teams.

-thanks

-e

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors