Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Drobinson1
Helper III
Helper III

powerbi audit logs

I have powerbi audit logs turned on, yet when I go to run the reports it no longer shows anything.  Seems to have stopped working around Nov 23rd.

26 REPLIES 26
Drobinson1
Helper III
Helper III

Ohio...stopped working on the 13th.

Hi all,

The issue is resolved now. Thanks for being patient. You should be able to see the all your logs right now.

We are working on putting the gates to catch these before they happen.

Thanks,

Fetiye

I am also having this problem. I turned logging on 4 days ago and I have been active on PowerBI myself, yet no logs show for viewing dashboards etc... 

Hi @earter, everything is working normally with the auditing capabiliteis so you should expect to see the logs.

Keep in mind it can take up to 48 hours for logs to appear from when you had the activity, so you may just need to wait a bit longer to see the results: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-auditing/

If you're still having a problem, please open a support ticket so an engineer can investigate your issue.

I'll open a ticket with support I guess. It was 4 days ago, well over 48 hours that I turned this feature on.

Thank you.

Power BI team - any update on this? This is our only means of getting good usage data for our organization. I've had this happen twice now, and the latest issue is that we're 2 days without log data being generated. I've checked and double checked that our auditing is turned on.

Hi @tsf,

Auditing is working as expected.  If you're encountering an issue, there may be something with your specific configration that needs to be investigated further.

To help assist you best, can you open a support ticket on the page below?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/

Thanks,

Adam

Thanks. Turns out that the logs showed up (without gaps) but it took a couple days to display the data. Not sure if that is expected. Generally, it has been consistently showing data for the previous day. Is the expectation that audit data may take up to 48 hours to show up?

Yes, it can take up to 48 hours to show up.  Glad to hear you have the data now, without gaps!

Drobinson1
Helper III
Helper III

looks like the audit logs are off again!

fetiyek
Employee
Employee

Hi all,

Thanks for reporting this. We are investigating. Can you check if auditing is still turned on in the Admin Portal? If not, please go ahead and turn it on. Based on our initial investigation, looks like something caused the setting to reset. If you can respond back to let us know if auditing setting was reset to off when you had it on previously, that will be super useful.

Thanks,

Fetiye

Hi Fetiye,

Do we know the root cause for the tenant setting reset to off?

We have lost some useful logs due to this issue, how can we prevent this not happening again in future?

Thanks,

Satish

We found the setting was off. We have since turned it back on but no logging data is coming through.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi Phil,

It can take up to 48 hours from when you change the audit log setting in Power BI until you see new logs in the Office 365 Security and Compliance Center.  Can you check again now and see if the logs are there?

Adam

Any updates? This seems to be failing again.

Can you describe the exact problem? Is your auditing enabled in admin portal? Can you get to Office 365 auditing page? Is it that part of the data is missing or you can't generate audit logs at all?

Hi Fatiye,

We are also facing the same problem again starting from Dec 14th as there are no Power BI logs although tenant setting is still On. I can see the logs until 13th.

Thanks,
Satish

We are looking into this. Can you confirm that it has been more than 48 hours since your auditing is enabled? It can take up to 48 hours for changes to be in effect and before you can start getting logs.

Can you tell me which clusters/regions you are in? I can't repro this on my side so I am wondering if this is impacting certain clusters only.

We are South East Asia and logging stopped on the 14th.  

This is a really important business metric to help push the usage of Power BI around our organisation.  It's hard to get support from Snr management when we can't answer the most basic question of "who is using it and how is usage tracking".

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors