Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

belmore
Helper II
Helper II

limit users ability to see other users

My plan is to purchase Power BI Pro licenses -- and use these licenses to securely share reports and dashboards with my customers. I assume that I would create

Let's say that I have two customers: Customer A and Customer B. I assume that I would create a Group for each:

Group 1 (Customer A)

Group 2 (Customer B)

I understand how to create the Groups and then share the reports and or dashboards -- For Customer A -- to Group 1 and Customer B to Group 2 -- My question/concern: I want to make sure that Users in Group 1(Customer A) are not able to See Users from Group 2 (Customer B) nor share anything anyone not within their Group.

I see in the Admin Portal -- Tenant Settings -- That I can Limit Sharing with Users Sharing content with External Users. But, I also want to limit Sharing content (or even seeing -- other user info) to the Group the users is apart of......

Can I do this? Or is Power BI set-up....to always allow -- users to Share content with anyone within the Organization (no matter what Groups they may be apart of)

Thank you for any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @belmore,

As I tested, if you set members in one group can only View content pack, the menber in the group will not publish it to other users without the group. Otherwise, you can't limit users in group1 share content pack to users not within their group. 

93022305.PNG

Please see the following screenshot (highlighted in red line) in this article.

1.PNG

If you have other issues, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Angelia

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to create a user group within power BI itself?

Thanks,

Ankita

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @belmore,

As I tested, if you set members in one group can only View content pack, the menber in the group will not publish it to other users without the group. Otherwise, you can't limit users in group1 share content pack to users not within their group. 

93022305.PNG

Please see the following screenshot (highlighted in red line) in this article.

1.PNG

If you have other issues, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Angelia

@belmore These customers, are they internal customers? Would they be part of your tenant and the data they need to access resides in your domain?

Are you going to have different datasets and reports for each customer, or you just need to limit the datasets they see?

Why Group workspaces? What are the requirements, do the end users need to build their own reports/dashboards based on your datasets?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors