Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Chanleakna123
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

how to refresh data even your PC offline ?

Dear All , 

I'm new here. i have a power BI Pro license on Power BI Service. I canshare every report with my team. 
I set daily schedule refresh on those reports. Though , i still not happy with this during my PC turn off , Those reports aren't refresh at all even on my Excel File are up to date. My shared team couldn't see the report during my PC offline. 
For example : I have daily report key in , Even Saturday and Sunday , my PC gonna turn off while we're not working. Yet my BI Service failed to refresh the schedule. 

My question : Do we have any best strategy to let it auto refresh even my PC offline ? Or Power BI Pro License isn't enough ? 

Thanks with Regards, 
Leakna Hang 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Chanleakna123,

If your PC has been turned off, the gateway will offline then the schedule refresh will fail.

You shouldn't install a gateway on a computer, such a laptop, that may be turned off, asleep, or not connected to the Internet because the gateway can't run under any of those circumstances. In addition, gateway performance might suffer over a wireless network.

To avoid this, I suggest you could install the gateway to the  Server or you don't turn off your device.

Reference : Install the On-premises data gateway

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Chanleakna123,

For that case, you would need to have Virtual Machine with Windows OS on any of cloud platforms (Azure, Google Cloud, Amazon etc.) where you can install Data Gateway. You can set it to be everytime online as well as Gateway.

Be sure that your environment meets following criteria:

Supported Operating System
Windows 10 , Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2

.Net Framework 4.5.2 or greater

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53127

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Chanleakna123,

For that case, you would need to have Virtual Machine with Windows OS on any of cloud platforms (Azure, Google Cloud, Amazon etc.) where you can install Data Gateway. You can set it to be everytime online as well as Gateway.

Be sure that your environment meets following criteria:

Supported Operating System
Windows 10 , Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2

.Net Framework 4.5.2 or greater

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53127

@v-piga-msft and Zolo , thanks for advise. 

best of luck to you all. 

thx

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Chanleakna123,

If your PC has been turned off, the gateway will offline then the schedule refresh will fail.

You shouldn't install a gateway on a computer, such a laptop, that may be turned off, asleep, or not connected to the Internet because the gateway can't run under any of those circumstances. In addition, gateway performance might suffer over a wireless network.

To avoid this, I suggest you could install the gateway to the  Server or you don't turn off your device.

Reference : Install the On-premises data gateway

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-piga-msft @zoloturu 

HI , i need your strongly support again. I severely Stuck. 

after getting your advise , i have another Laptop to use my User name and BI password on power BI Service. the other laptop can be forever opened . So every reports will be run automatically through gateway even my own laptop is turn off. It works well. 

But now , I'm facing the barrier over that laptop that is forever opened. it said my Personal Gateway is turn off. Understand maybe it's from Internet Connection. And we fix it. After the connection fixed , the BI also said there's no Personal Gate way on this laptop. And then i re-install and download gate way of personal mode again. But the BI Message said , My personal MOde gate way FAILED , you need to uninstall and download again. Understand my BI desktop is in Jan 2018 , So i upgrade to Aug 2018 , and delete all of the gateway that i have installed previously. And then i Download again. The message of BI repeat : Gateway Personal Mode Installed Failed , Reinstall and Download again. 

I stuck on this for 4 hours , can you help me and advise me how to settle this ? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors