Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

iraf
Frequent Visitor

how to calculate month over month revenue, Quarter over Quarter, ....

Being a tableu user, I am used to being able to easily list 5-6k customers into a table and having their monthly revenue numbers automatically calculate into columns after the customer info is entered. Being new to Power BI, I cant seem to figure out how to set that type of table up. 

Can this be done? 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
adam-townsend
7 REPLIES 7
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi iraf,

Well that depends on what you would like to achieve and what data you would like to deal with.

For sales, comparing this month with the previous month, or at the Quarter or year range, this could be done in Power BI.

If you are looking for the formula, check the blog below:

Week-Based Time Intelligence in DAX

There are also sales template available to help build the sales report:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/departments/sales/

More reference:

Sales & Marketing sample for Power BI: Take a tour

If any further help needed, please feel free to post back.

Regards

@v-micsh-msft

I've tried to figure out how to download the sample retail pbix, but I haven't been able to find a link.  The growth trend report in that one is great (or any for that matter) and I've no luck finding an example that works (or building my own, for that matter).

Is there a direct download link for the working samples so people can learn or build similar ones?

Thanks,

Chris S.

Michael

Thank you for your response. This is helpful , But doesnt fully get me to where I am trying to go. I am trying to create what looks like a simple spreadsheet, but excel cant handle the size of data going back 3 years, so tableu allows me to do it very easily. From here, I then go into the different visualizations ....I am trying to see if Power BI will allow me to achieve the same thing. A seperate issue I am having within Power BI is building up my database by adding the monthly data every month.

To get back on my original question, on the first column from top to bottom, I list customers. On the top row, going from left to right, I use a date field that statrs with a year, and then i can drill further in by quarter, month, and then a specific day. What falls beneath whatever date field I leave it at is the actual data that is generated by that particular customer.

Hopefully this provides a little more info.

Thanks again.

Hi iraf,

If the data column is the same for every month, then we could take use of Merge or append queries under Query editor.

Detailed information, please see:

Common query tasks in Power BI Desktop

For Customers, we could add a Slicer visual, and for the date, you may take a look at drill down, which allows to drill through year to date hierarchies.

Well, I coud only offer suggestions, to handle the visuals in a better way, we should consider the data model together.

Post back if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Michael

Thank you very much for the suggestion. Yes, the columns are left consistent , as I needed to do that as I built up the databse for Tableu, as that rule applies there as well. I am going to try and figure out how to use the merge feature. Hopefully that can resolve my issue. Frankly, I am still having issues setting up a simple picture with certain information on the left side of a canvas, and then data sets on the header side , which are controlled by dates , or in this case month over month.

While I see benefits of Power BI, Tableu is proving to be a little friendlier  from a user experience.

Thanks again for your help.

Ira

I noticed this posted in Service; so just some additional brief input:  You might note the advice of @ankitpatira

"http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Two-basic-questions-about-initial-setup/m-p/68687#U68687"

1. Power bi desktop is a designer tool that you use to build reports from. Even though you can build reports straight in power bi service it doesn't have full capabilities as desktop has. So in your case I would suggest for your roll out you have desktop being used by developers while for your users provide them way to access reports via power bi service.

Based upon the title of your post PBI can definitely provide those calculations.  You might want to develop your reports using the desktop product and then move it to service.

www.CahabaData.com
adam-townsend

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors