Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jagostinhoCT
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

failed to publish/refresh

hello,

I am experiencing lots of issues with refreshing the data sources recently. Meaning since July.

No changes were done to the data sources but am now getting more frequent "fail to refresh" warnings and prompting me for a Power BI Pro purchase. Something to do with Personal Gateway and On-Premises data. I have not changed it in any way. All of my data sources as hosted on a One Drive for Business location / Sharepoint list and were working fine until recently.

Has anything changed in the Power BI subscription service terms and conditions that might be causing this?

In addition, today I got an error while trying to Publish from PBI Desktop, below.

Thank you for your feedback.

J

Image 8.png

Also Refresh History is showing the following information

Processing error:Your data gateway (Power BI – personal) is offline or could not be reached. Ensure the gateway computer is on and you are logged on to it during the scheduled refresh period.
Cluster URI:WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:af359c0f-c41a-47ba-a8a6-c5cd0a7a3a77
Request ID:00ab5f4f-a7a6-49cc-a5dc-a9b4f9a2be6e
Time:2016-09-06 10:15:17Z
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @v-haibl-msft

New light into the topic.

One of the published PBIX files is actually schedule refreshing fine and is using the same Datasource types.

Dashboard Software allows for Connect Direct. No Gateway.

Dashboard Web 1.1 refresh fails.

Dashboard Software -Dataset Connect Directly.png

Dashboard Web 1.1 - Dataset Gateway request.png

Are there any queries to the PBIX that may force the need for a Gateway to be installed?

Thank you.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@jagostinhoCT

Please check your gateway status as ankitpatira said. BTW, is your data stored in North Central US? We can check it in About Power BI in the upper right corner as below. If yes, I noticed that there was a message in the support site which said issue was found in the North Central US region. Actually you can find similar issue in this thread and the Power BI team is working on it.

failed to publish refresh_1.jpgfailed to publish refresh_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

@v-haibl-msft

Thank you for your reply.

My data is stored in North Europe (Ireland).

I never needed to install the Gateway before and the schedule refresh was working fine. Set for daily refresh. How can I revert to the previous condition?

Best regards,

Joaquim

@v-haibl-msft and @ankitpatira

I found that an older published report still displays the previous schedule refresh settings. It allows for a Direct Connection, as below.

Gateway Connect Directly.png

The other reports show different options.

Gateway install requirement.png

Why would it be different if all Data Sources are sitting in the same OD4B location?

I want it to still allow a Direct Connection, if it makes any sense.

Thank you for your help.

Joaquim

@jagostinhoCT

Did you get data from OD4B as below? In that case, a personal gateway is not needed. Would you mind deleting the dataset and getting data from OD4B again to see if it works?

PBI Data Source Failed Refresh From OneDrive

Best Regards,

Herbert

Hi @v-haibl-msft

I did not link to OD4B like that.

I started assembling the Data Sources and Reports in March 2016. I never worked with data analytics before and it has been an interesting learning curve since then.

I started off with the Data Sources as local files, but then moved them to an OD4B account when I realised they could be refreshed automatically. For this I have edited the path as suggested on this post.

-------

To set it up, you need to go into Edit Query -> Advanced Editor, and change the Source line from pointing to your local C: drive to use the Sharepoint/Onedrive URL -- here's an example from one of my dashboards, which hits n XLSX data file that gets saved to my Onedrive for Business folder every night:

Source = Excel.Workbook(Web.Contents("https://domain-my.sharepoint.com/personal/<my O365 ID>/Documents/path/path/path/dates.xlsx"), null, true),

This works great for CSV and other flat files as well.

Then on app.powerbi.com, go into the Dataset properties and you'll be able to set it to auto refresh and select the rough time to run (I use 6A-12P).

-------

Things worked fine and I was able to schedule refresh the data....until mid July, where it prompted for a Gateway.

Now, I have tried to add a Dataset the way you suggested and it seems to be going on the right direction. My question is that I do not know how to create Reports with more than one Dataset, the same way I do in PBI Desktop?

Many thanks for your help.

J

@jagostinhoCT

In Power BI Service, we can only create a report with one dataset.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Hi @v-haibl-msft

So, just to be sure that I am clear about my options, for the scenario of needing PBI Desktop to query/model data souces, there is no way around it aside installing a Gateway to schedule refresh data. Even though they are hosted on a OD4B location.

It this it?

Regards,

Joaquim

@jagostinhoCT

Yes, even though your data are hosted on a OD4B location, but you actually publish to Service from the local .pbix file .

Best Regards,

Herbert

Hello @v-haibl-msft

New light into the topic.

One of the published PBIX files is actually schedule refreshing fine and is using the same Datasource types.

Dashboard Software allows for Connect Direct. No Gateway.

Dashboard Web 1.1 refresh fails.

Dashboard Software -Dataset Connect Directly.png

Dashboard Web 1.1 - Dataset Gateway request.png

Are there any queries to the PBIX that may force the need for a Gateway to be installed?

Thank you.

@jagostinhoCT

The connect directly option will appear when the source excel file is located in the office 365 environment (stored in an O365 Modern Group document library). If it doesn’t have this option, then it states that there are other data sources which require gateway. You can also have a look at this thread which talks about the connect directly option.

Best Regards,

Herbert

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jagostinhoCT From the error message itself if sounds like your gateway is not accessible at the time of refresh. Have you ensured it is visible so check network / firewall etc. Nothing that I'm aware of has changed in Power BI subscription. We didn't experienced any issue after August update for our gateway refresh or publish from power bi desktop. Publishing error seems weird and you should contact MS support for that if it happens all the time.

Hi @ankitpatira

After a little research yesterday, I found that the Gateway requirement is a new feature. I did not need a Gateway setup previously in order to schedule refresh my data. Not even when going for the "Refresh Now".

May I stress that I did not do changes to my Data Sources. This behaviour just started to happen around mid July/August.

And before I could get access to the Schedule Refresh settings (the one with the Yes/No slider). Now they are greyed out and it seems that they can only be unlocked after installing a gateway.

Here is an older article describing the process and it does not mention Gateway setup.

One of the things I am unable to understand is, if my Data Sources are hosted on One Drive for Business (using the same PBI credentials) why would I need a Gateway? Why would it not just refresh the data straight from the OD4B?

Thank you for your time and feedback.

J

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors