Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

does the Power BI Enterprise Gateway account needs to have Office 365 subscription?

I am trying to Install and configure the Enterprise Data Gateway in Windows Server 2012.

I am using a domain account to run the  Power Bi Service (Windows Service).  

The problem is when I log into PowerBI.com and try to schedule a dataset refresh it displays an error message "You don't have any data gateways".  

How can fix this error message?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

@Anonymous 

Are you logging in to Power BI with the same account?

If you installed the gateway with a different account, you need to log into the Power BI Service with that account and add additional users to be gateway administrators... I think that is what you are asking.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Eno1978, No, I am not login into with the same account.  I have an AD account for the Gateway (without Pro License) that is running on the Windows Server and another one for www.powerbi.com, this one with PowerBI Pro licence.

The issue I am having is; when I go to "Settings/Manage gateways" with my pro account it says: "You don't hae any data gateways", so I can't schedule any dataset even when the Gateway says it is running on the Windows Server.

Gateway Account:  XYZAdmin@mydomain.com

Has Power BI Pro Licence? NO

Has Office 365 ? NO

Running on Windows Server 2012

User Account:  myuser@mydomain.com

Has Power BI Pro Licence? YES

Has Office 365 ? YES

Running on my browser (any pc)

Does the account that runs the gateway needs a Power BI Pro licence?

Does the account that runs the gateway can be only an Active Directory account without Office 365 nor Power BI?

Do the accounts need to be the same account?

Thank you.

@AnonymousThe account you used to set up the gateway is the admin on the gateway in the Service... I've used admin accounts to run gateways, but they require a Pro License. If you don't want to do that, there are a couple things you could try.

Log in with the non-pro license and see if you can see the gateway under settings - manage gateway. If you can, assign the user with the Pro account as an admin. (Not sure this will work)

Otherwise, you could swap out your Pro account user on the gateway.

The reason you can't see it, is because your Pro user is not assigned as an admin on the Gateway. You need to set that user to be the admin in the Power BI Service.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors