Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

diiference in content packs and apps

Hi

What is the difference between apps and organizational content packs in power bi service?

Advance Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prateekraina
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

How are apps different from organizational content packs?

Apps are an evolution and simplification of content packs, with a few major differences.

• After business users install a content pack, it loses its grouped identity: it's just a list of dashboards and reports interspersed with other dashboards and reports. Apps, on the other hand, maintain their grouping and identity even after installation. This makes it easy for business users to continue to navigate to them over time.
  • You can create multiple content packs from any workspace, but an app has a 1:1 relationship with its workspace. We believe this makes apps easier to understand and maintain over the long run. See the roadmap section of the Power BI blog for more on how we plan to improve this area.
  • Over time we plan to deprecate organizational content packs, so we recommend you create apps from now on.

Reference: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/de-de/documentation/powerbi-service-create-apps/

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
cabell
Advocate I
Advocate I

We are now on Premium and I am struggling to get the App distribution 'just right'. With Content Packs it was easy to make it available AND visible to the 'entire organisation' but with Apps it appears that I will have to (and I wont) manually entire the 2500 employees names into the App and hope noone new starts or leaves. I also can't see how Apps are seen in the same way content packs are (i.e. via 'Get Data' > 'My Organisation') I have shared Apps with individuals but unless I send them the link they are unable to locate the App.

Any clues out there?

Anonymous
Not applicable

To see the Apps, to go Apps from the left hand side menu, above the "Shared with me".

You can also share the App to the entire organisation. 

App has less functionality because it's still new. So it cannot replace content pack as of now, especially if you want to allow people to create their own reports using the dataset from content pack.

prateekraina
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

How are apps different from organizational content packs?

Apps are an evolution and simplification of content packs, with a few major differences.

• After business users install a content pack, it loses its grouped identity: it's just a list of dashboards and reports interspersed with other dashboards and reports. Apps, on the other hand, maintain their grouping and identity even after installation. This makes it easy for business users to continue to navigate to them over time.
  • You can create multiple content packs from any workspace, but an app has a 1:1 relationship with its workspace. We believe this makes apps easier to understand and maintain over the long run. See the roadmap section of the Power BI blog for more on how we plan to improve this area.
  • Over time we plan to deprecate organizational content packs, so we recommend you create apps from now on.

Reference: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/de-de/documentation/powerbi-service-create-apps/

Hi, I want to let users make their own reports using the same dataset as in my published app.

For my company reporting I have my reports published in an app, but to allow users to customise and edit their own dashboards based on these 'templates' I also publish the datasets and reports in a content pack. The users then have to 'Make a copy' of the dataset in order to create reports from it. Is there a better way to do this and will the dataset stay up to date? When I make a copy of the dataset after importing from the content pack it warns that the copy is 'Static' but I'm not sure this is correct?

@prateekraina - will content packs currently available no longer be available to the organization?

Hi @Mbuczynski,

They will be available.
Its just that Apps have same features + some additional benefits which are there in Content packs.

Thanks !!

We used to be able to make a copy of a content pack in order to edit and customize.  How do you do that with an app?

Very qood question. For us App Workspaces are useless as users cannot edit and play. I see no real business difference between App Workspace and Group Workspace either.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors