Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jiinson
Helper I
Helper I

data refresh

Dear Power BI Users,

I am pretty new to power bi. 

I have published report from Power BI Desktop to Power BI Service and now I want to refresh the data 8 am everyday. My data is from SQL and Excel. How do I schedule refresh? I have read the article and it seems like I do have to purchase power bi pro. Is there anyway I can refresh the data automatically not by buying pro version?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Jiin Son

5 REPLIES 5
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jiinson,

I'm not aware of a good solution here in your scenario. You may need to put you data on Cloud instead of SQL and Excel as suggested by @Seth_C_Bauer, or republish it from Power BI Desktop to Power BI Service everyday, or buy a pro license.Smiley Happy

Regards

@jiinson In order to schedule a refresh from the on-premises data sources you need to install and use the gateway. This would require a Pro license. If you want to schedule a refresh of 1x per day the data would need to live in the cloud.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

hey @Seth_C_Bauer are you saying: If you want to schedule a refresh of 1x per day the data would need to live in the cloud...IF one doesn't have a Pro license??   

somehow I missed that all this time.....

www.CahabaData.com

Hey @CahabaData,

This is what I have figured out making dashboards for free and pro users.

Without a Pro License:

SQL Query --> Excel --> Power BI Desktop --> PBI Service - refresh in Desktop and republish to service to get the new data.

SQL Query  --> Excel (stored in OneDrive) --> PBI Service - data changes will update hourly if OneDrive Refresh is enabled.

Hope this helps,

Alana

@CahabaData Using the Gateway requires a Pro License. I read another thread where currently if you don't actually schedule a refresh you can manually refresh your data on the Free license and still use a gateway, but I don't know if that will stick around. But essentially, yes, you can't schedule a refresh using a gateway with a free license.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors