Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BarryAP

dashboard share not working

Dear Forum / Support

I have created Dashboards with a Content Pack and have shared to people within my organisation and external.  The share process works, sends emails and shows correct access on the portal.

However, neither can access the dashboard.

Internal user:-

"You don't have access to this dashboard

This invitation contains dashboards, reports or data outside of your organisation that cannot be viewed

I have also created a simple report with Power BI Desktop and Uploaded to the portal, created and shared this dashboard with the same result.

I am logging in to the Portal with my name@company.com account and my internal colleague has the same @company.com domain.

Can you recommend any troubleshooting otions? I have read and followed the Dashboard Sharing documentation.

6 REPLIES 6
factgasm
Helper II
Helper II

Had the same problem, fixed by adding the administrator as a user; blogged about it here: http://lookatyourdata.co.uk/2017/02/27/power-bi-you-dont-have-access-to-this-dashboard/

Expect what you inspect - look at your data

If my administrator is not willing to help fix the problem, how can I solve this issue.  Multiple users in my company are receiving the message that they don't have access to the data, or are unable to login with their credentials.  My organization has told me that are not willing to support the PowerBI product, so I'm trying to do this on my own.

If my administrator is not willing to help fix the problem, how can I solve this issue.  Multiple users in my company are receiving the message that they don't have access to the data, or are unable to login with their credentials.  My organization has told me that are not willing to support the PowerBI product, so I'm trying to do this on my own.

v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi BarryAP,

What is the Power BI license type that your sharing members have? If you shared a dashboard with a pro license, they may not have the permission to see the dashboard if they use Power BI free license.

In addition, could you please share us more details regarding the content pack that you used to create the dashboard?

Just from the error message popped out, it seems to be mostly related with the source file.

And I suspect the following article is what you followed to share the dashboard:

Share a dashboard with colleagues and others

Please take a look at the “When ” phase, which explains some aspects we should take care of before sharing.

Quoted:

People outside your organization can't see any data if role- or row-level security is implemented on Analysis Services tabular models on-premises.

Regards

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@BarryAP Do you mean content pack or sharing dashboard invidually as they are two different process. If you've created and shared content pack with users then those users need to go to their power bi serivce portal -> Get Data -> My organisation and then get content pack. If you've shared individually then they should receive email -> click on the link in email and should be able to access. 

I would suggest you start by sending dashboard url (not sharing just sending them url without sharing) to the users within your organisation. Once they access that URL they will be presented with a page that says 'You don't have access to this dashboard, click to request access to this dahsboard'. This will send you an email requesting access by that person to the dashboard and you grant them and see if that works for them to access the dashboard.

Thanks for posting a response. I am sharing dashboards and not content packs. Further to my post the nternal user has access to the dashboards. He has two accounts with Power BI and he was being recognised as the wrong 'user'. However, the external user has still no access.

Many thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors