Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

couldn't load the data for this visual

I have a report that uses a DirectQuery connection to an on-premises SQL Server via Enterprise Gateway. It was working fine throughout the development cycle but after making a few adjustments and re-publishing, the report starting throwing an error "Couldn't load the data for this visual" in the service. Undoing the changes didn't fix the error. The tab in question contains a Table viz and that table contains 21 fields. I found that removing some of the fields resolved the error, but through experimentation I found that it was not any one specific field causing the problem. So I tried rebuilding the table from scratch and publishing after each additional column was added and got it to work with all columns again. Then I started applying formatting changes and found that when I changed the summarization for a percentage column from 'Sum' to 'Don't Summarize' it was triggering the error. Here is the syntax:

Couldn't load the data for this visual

This feature is not supported. Please make sure you have installed the latest version of the gateway.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Error CodeDM_GWPipeline_Gateway_FeatureNotSupported
Activity ID8c186930-653d-409f-9377-ef4e1ab1f677
Correlation IDf9e4c67e-5579-a158-a0d4-96d107801010
Request ID985bf681-0b48-37fd-ffb5-1881b321a5f0
TimeFri Sep 23 2016 09:40:13 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
Version13.0.1605.561
7 REPLIES 7
moseshewetson
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same problem. Did you ever find a fix?

I have changed the PC that the gateway was running on to one that has never had Power BI gateway installed on but still no luck.

Thanks,

Anonymous
Not applicable

This was not a gateway issue. I believe it was a DAX issue related to DIrectQuery. I ended up creating a view in the database to perform the calculations rather than relying upon my complex DAX expressions. There are so many limitations with DAX when working through DirectQuery and I hope this is addressed by the Power BI team soon. If you use this workaround let me know on this thread if you had success.

I'm starting to wonder if there's a limitation behind the scenes with the Power BI web service.  I'm having a similar issue - visualizations failing to load that contain a few DAX measures - and they render on the desktop app without an issue.

Dan Malagari
Consultant at Headspring
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I am facing the same issue with direct query  and it  has turned out to me that it is because of one million result set limitation on query in dircet query mode.

Just  want to know the work around  in case quering around 10 million of data is the utmost requirement?

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

According to my knowledge, the above error could occur when the previous gateway is not uninstalled completely. You can use CCleaner to clean up registry of gateway, manually delete gateway folder under C:\Program Files, then install the latest version of gateway again and check if the issue still persists.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had previously worked around this issue by re-building the report in question but the problem has since come back. This time I tried the remedy you prescribed below but to no avail. On top of that, the old gateway did not get deleted -- it continues to appear under Manage Gateways where it displays the message "The gateway is either offline or could not be reached." So now I have another problem to solve.

When I first encounteed this error, I found that eliminating several fields from the table visualization "fixed" the problem. With my current encounter I was able to identify a single field that could be eliminated to make it work. This field is required to be in the table though and a means must be found to add it back without error. What is also strange about this error is that it was not present when the report was published yesterday (I tested it in PBIDC) but today the report was broken.

Based on my experience and the other forum postings with this error, I'm convinced that the problem is endemic to either RLS, DirectConnection or the combination of the two. If you would be so kind, please suggest remedies to 1) Fix the original error and 2) Fix the extraneous gateway problem.

Thanks

P.S. I'd like to add that though it did not say to do so, I first uninstalled the original gateway. When I went to reinstall I was given the option to repair an existing gateway or install a new one. Since I had uninstalled the original by this point I chose to install a new one.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous Looks like in your case data format that your visual requires in is not supported by the version of your gateway. So as it suggests upgrade to the latest version of gateway and see if that resolves the problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors