Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stark

client based data

Hi Guys,

First of all I have little knowledge about power BI and even less about Azure or cloud/database programming. Also, I hope that this is posted in the right section.

Basic goal:

I'm trying to build a client portal (via Wordpress) in which clients can log in and see their data (MySQL) presented in a organised and professional way (visualised graphs/tables by Power BI). 

Details:

I've made a simple FrontEnd with Wordpress on which clients can register and log in to get access to a private page. Each client wants to monitor specific data on their private page. All this data is gathered in a MySQL server.

I would like to use this data and generate specific visuals (using Power BI) and present (embed?) these sets of specific visuals on their private page in Wordpress. This means that each private page has different data and possibly different visuals. 

So I'd like to see if it's possible to connect Power Bi and Wordpress in order to give clients access to their specifically requested data which sits on a MySQL server. Can you guys give me any advice on this? 

I'm too inexperienced with Microsoft's products in order to be able to decide if this is the right way to present the data (with Power BI) or that I need to use a different tool (not microsoft related) in my case. When it comes down to it, Wordpress and MySQL are a must and can't be replaced. So the only "variable" tool in this case would be Power BI.

References:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Client-Dashboard-Solution/m-p/194171/highlight/true#M26342

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Power-BI-Embedded-with-Row-Level-Security/td-p/36492

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Alter-Report-Filters-Based-On-Recipient/m-p/44318/highlight...

I've checked out these references after searching, however I'm not familiar with all the terms and still wonder how I can use wordpress to link its currently logged in username to request specific data through power BI which in turn uses the user-info to collect the right data form MySQL. How is all this related to Power BI Embedded for example and its pricing? How do I use the app token per user? What if a new user has registered on the Wordpress site....do I need to manually make a new workspace and request a token and make the visuals? I'd like to have this automated...but will this require a lot of programming? If so, what kind of programming? (I assume php for Wordpress's side and .NET for powerBI?)

Let me know if you need more information.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @stark,

Based on research, current wordpress seems only support embed contents who publish by 'publish to web' feature.(iframe format)

Embedding Power BI Reports in a WordPress blog

AFAK, 'publish to web' feature not support any security settings, so you can't control which type of records will shows.

BTW, publish to web also has a few limitations, you can take a look at below document to know more about this:

Publish to web from Power BI

Publish to web is supported for the vast majority of data sources and reports in the Power BI service, however, the following are not currently supported or available with Publish to web:

1. Reports using row level security.
  2. Reports using Analysis Services Tablular hosted on premises.
  3. Reports shared to you directly or through an organizational content pack.
  4. Reports in a group in which you are not an edit member.
  5. "R" Visuals are not currently supported in Publish to web reports.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @stark,

Based on research, current wordpress seems only support embed contents who publish by 'publish to web' feature.(iframe format)

Embedding Power BI Reports in a WordPress blog

AFAK, 'publish to web' feature not support any security settings, so you can't control which type of records will shows.

BTW, publish to web also has a few limitations, you can take a look at below document to know more about this:

Publish to web from Power BI

Publish to web is supported for the vast majority of data sources and reports in the Power BI service, however, the following are not currently supported or available with Publish to web:

1. Reports using row level security.
  2. Reports using Analysis Services Tablular hosted on premises.
  3. Reports shared to you directly or through an organizational content pack.
  4. Reports in a group in which you are not an edit member.
  5. "R" Visuals are not currently supported in Publish to web reports.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Im working on a similar project. However according to the following link it seems that there is a plugin available for wordpress.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/embed-power-bi/

However the row level security part is not clear to me. Is it possible that de different customers that login at the wordpress site only see there own data by using rules? In my case there is a Azure database that contains all the data of all the customers. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors