Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sbroaden
Helper I
Helper I

changing linked PBI model data source from desktop

PBILinkIssue.png

I am having a hard time figuring out if I am using the PowerBI service data source correctly.  Right now we open Desktop, go to PowerBI service and find our workspace and choose one of our models to build a report against.  We like this option as it allows multiple users to write reports without having to be in the model file itself.  However, we have several models that are built exactly the same but just filtered differently.  In the past with SSAS, we would go to edit queries and change to a different model and the reports would magically update against the new model.  However with PowerBI service, it appears the Edit Query option is greyed out and I cannot change which model my desktop report is built against?  Does anyone know if this will get fixed or any work arounds?  It is going to set us back quite a bit to have to rebuild our reports against every different cut of the models?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It looks like this has been fixed with the August release Desktop using generally released Power BI Service. Now you can edit your query properties and change connections to another workspace and/or model.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors