Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

doug_haines
Frequent Visitor

Workspace and restricting access to Security for dataset

A workspace has been created for a group of users. Datasets have been created with RLS implemented and configured.  All of the users with access to the workspace are specified as members and not admin.  We want the users to have the ability to create/edit dashboards and reports from the datasets within the workspace. Is there a way to restrict the users within the workspace from having access to Security (RLS) with each dataset and still have the ability create/edit dashboards and reports from the datasets?

To be clear I do not want them having the ability to click on the security area as an option.

I do not want them to be able to click on this.I do not want them to be able to click on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @doug_haines,

I am afraid that you are not able to achieve your requirement. What permission do you grant to your group users? If you choose “Members can edit Power BI content”  in Privacy and then specify users as members, these users are able to create/edit dashboards and reports, they are also able to access Security. Moreover, please note that in this case, RLS roles you defined for your dataset will not be applied to them, users will be able to see all of the data.

As per this article, the RLS roles will be applied to read-only members. You will need to indicate that members can only view Power BI content within the group settings.

If you choose “Members can only view Power BI content” in Privacy and then specify users as members, these users are not able to create/edit dashboards and reports, they are also unable to access Security.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gudukrmca
Frequent Visitor

Did Microsoft provide this feature in latest Power BI updates or any workarounds?  I'm really blocked here.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @doug_haines,

I am afraid that you are not able to achieve your requirement. What permission do you grant to your group users? If you choose “Members can edit Power BI content”  in Privacy and then specify users as members, these users are able to create/edit dashboards and reports, they are also able to access Security. Moreover, please note that in this case, RLS roles you defined for your dataset will not be applied to them, users will be able to see all of the data.

As per this article, the RLS roles will be applied to read-only members. You will need to indicate that members can only view Power BI content within the group settings.

If you choose “Members can only view Power BI content” in Privacy and then specify users as members, these users are not able to create/edit dashboards and reports, they are also unable to access Security.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the reply @v-yuezhe-msft. The users need to be able to create/edit dashboards and reports so they have been granted "Member can edit Power BI content."  The issue is that as members I do not want them to be able to configure the security of the dataset. I believe that configuring the security of the dataset should be an admin permission only. Another possiblity could be that there is a third drop down option for members something along the lines of "Members can create/edit dashboards and reports only."

Thank you again. I will also submit an idea.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @doug_haines

What happens if you give the users Admin Access to the Workspace?

Does that give them the capability to see the Security as you showed in your image?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors