Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Joe_Short

Workbook without corresponding dataset

Hello BI Community,

I need help building visuals when no dataset is created in BI Service.  When connecting to an excel file on One Drive for Business I selected "Connect, Manage and View" to use the existing tables and formulas in the excel file.  After connection was complete I can see the workbook but there no corresponding dataset.  A little confused becasue I thought that a dataset would automatically be created.  I think I'm overlookig something fundamental.

How can I build visuals when I only have a workbook with no dataset?

Thanks!

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Joe_Short,

When you get date using "Connect, manage and view Excel in Power BI",  your workbook will appear in Power BI just like it would in Excel Online. When choosing this way, no dataset is created in Power BI. So if you want to use the data in excel to create report/visuals, you need to Import Excel data into Power BI.

When you have created reported in excel, and want to pin the report to dashbord, you can use the way of "Connect, manage and view Excel in Power BI". More details, please review this article: Get data from Excel workbook files .

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Joe_Short,

When you get date using "Connect, manage and view Excel in Power BI",  your workbook will appear in Power BI just like it would in Excel Online. When choosing this way, no dataset is created in Power BI. So if you want to use the data in excel to create report/visuals, you need to Import Excel data into Power BI.

When you have created reported in excel, and want to pin the report to dashbord, you can use the way of "Connect, manage and view Excel in Power BI". More details, please review this article: Get data from Excel workbook files .

Best Regards,
Angelia

That makes sense. I went back and imported the data instead and it created the dataset as expected. Thanks for the quick response and including the link for that article.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors