Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mwaltercpa
Advocate III
Advocate III

Wanting to go from Personal Gateway to Enterprise

I and another co-worker currently use the On-Premise personal version.  We both keep our machines on each night.  With others starting to use PBI, we'd like to move over to the enterprise gateway.

Few questions:

1. We don't have a sql server, is this required for the enterprise version?  Our data sources are on-prem files/folders

2. Each time I bring up having a sql server, I hear that it's $20K and cost prohibative for us.  If sql is required, is there a subscription that would make this more economical for us?

3. Will there be some work involved in converting from the PG to EG?  We currently have about 80 dashboards.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@mwaltercpa

Do you have any other problem about it?

Best Regards,
Herbert

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@mwaltercpa

1. No. SQL Server is not required here. You can schedule refresh for the on-prem files/folders using on-premises data gateway. Please refer to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/#list-of-available-data-sou....

Wanting to go from Personal Gateway to Enterprise_1.jpg

2. For the Power BI price, please refer to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/. There are three types: Free, Pro and Premium.

3. Please refer to the solution provided by dimazaid in this thread, you need to add your on-prem files/folders connection instead of the SQL Server connection.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors