Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cproloff
Frequent Visitor

Visual Interactions not working

It appears that visual interactions on not working. For some reason when I drill down to lowest level on a visual and then select one item, none of the other charts update on the report. It was working fine last week so I am not sure what changed. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@cproloff@hl1357@ReubenLam@Anonymous@bc_teixeira In my environment, cross filtering is working on all drill down levels. Please check the drill down report in your scenario to see if the issue is gone.

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
Sanny
Frequent Visitor

i am using powerbi desk top client, and i have some problem to create inter activity. 

i did open format, and click filter, but still not working.

can anyone help me?

tried to raise a new topic, but not sure how to do this? thanks

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@cproloff@hl1357@ReubenLam@Anonymous@bc_teixeira In my environment, cross filtering is working on all drill down levels. Please check the drill down report in your scenario to see if the issue is gone.

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I also have the same issue. I have a 2 level hierarchy (Continent - Country) in the axis of a clustered column chart. When we click a column within this chart at the top level of the hierarchy  YES it cross filters all the other reports on the same report page. YEt when we drill down to level 2 and click a column within the chart it does not cross filter. This is the same for both in Power BI desktop and also when published to the Power BI service.

(PS yes the tile interaction settings with other tiles is definately set to filter as it works at top level)

This is strange how for some people it is working and others not. How is this ?

I have Power BI desktop V2.38.4491.282 64 bit (August 2016) on Windows 10

and using MS Edge when in the service .

For you guys that it is working does it work both when you drill down (single arrow option) and also when you move down a hierarchy level (2 arrow option).

this is driving my client crazy as 1st they want to see the data at continent level and then they need to drill down from global continent level to country level and want thnen to obviously see all the data at country level.

HELPPPPPPPPPPP

Yes, Works for both the single arow down icon and right click drill down functionality.

I also changed my interaction from Filter to "highlight" and the feature worked as it supposed to.

I used both a Hierarchicy (geography) and a slicer on my report.

-- Reuben.

Ours is working for both the behaviours you listed.

We are using a basic column chart to filter another column and a tree map.

If it helps...

The column chart does not use a formal heirachy, we have just listed the fields we want in axis column and they are from mulitple tables in the data model.

@hl1357 When i saw your comment i had hoped it was that simple a solution to replace the formal hierarchy with the 2 seperate attributes.

But it still doesn't work.

Very strange.

Could have anything to do with the fact that i have also 'personalised' the interaction (of the chart in question) with the other charts on that page. YOu know when you select menu option > Format > Edit Interactions and some are set to filter and some highlight and even 1 to no interaction. ?

Most frustrating to know it works for you guys and us not.

My data model is solid...

Will dig deeper and get back later........

And now i have just seen @ReubenLam comment so that also excludes that possible error.

ANyone got any other ideas what it could be ?

I don't think the visual interactions have anything to do with it working (or not). My report has a financial year slicer on the whole report, the chart we use to drill down filters two other charts but not the 4 KPIs on the same report, lots of custom interactions.

Reading the other comments whether is it working on not seems completely random, which is rather strange.

The only other thing I did recently was I got a notice to update to a new PBI Desktop.  So I updated the software, reloaded/refreshed the data model, and republished to the service.

This was using IE 10.   I just tried Chrome as well and it works there too.

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Just stumbled upon something that might apply here.  While experimenting with drilldown interactions, I noticed that as I drill down through a hierarchy, a cross filtered visualization was not filtering.  Once I got to the level I was interested in, I noticed that if I turned off drill down (top right down arrow), the other visual(s) filtered like they should.  Also, with no drill down turned on at the level, clicking on any bar or column at that level of the hierarchy allowed cross filtering to occur.  Turn drill down back on, cross filtering ceases, and you can continue your drill down and then repeat the process at the next level.

kalcey
Frequent Visitor

Correct: Turning on drill mode disables the ability to 'select' a bar, and hence filter on it.

I put the new version on this week of Power BI and my new projects will not link via the Edit Interactions correctly.  If I open a project created before I put on the upgrade the interactions are fine.  What's up with that?

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

I checked in my environment and it is now working on all drill down levels!!

Thanks

Collin

Hi Qiuyun_Yu, 

True! It's working here too.

Thanks a lot

Looks like the 'Edit Intractions'  shows up exactly on one visualization on the page. 

After clicking 'Edit Interactions' just check the visualisation on the page where it shows up, click it there and the 'interaction' menu will hop to the net visualization. 

hl1357
Frequent Visitor

I am also having exactly the same problem, looking forward to getting a solution

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@cproloff@ReubenLam@Anonymous@bc_teixeira@Anonymous I can reproduce this issue. On Power BI Service, the interaction works when we click the chart bar on first level, if we drill down to second level or lowest level then click chart bar, the other charts will not be filtered, but everthing is working in Power BI Desktop.

I will report this issue internally and keep you updated once I get any feedback.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 ,but different scenario visual interaction is not working when buttons are used.
eg: when i clicked button A then I click on any visual the interaction is not working on button B visuals.
Thank you

Whoot!.   Excellent job guys.  All is working as it should.

ReubenLam
Frequent Visitor

+1 on this issue.

Same problem as it works fine in PBI Desktop, but linked charts on the web do not work.   Drilling down after the first level fails to refresh the linked chart.  Tried on both Chrome and IE with no difference.

Help!

ReubenLam
Frequent Visitor

+ 1 on this issue.   Visualizations work fine in PBI Desktop but fails when published to web.  Looks like the same "only the top level" affects the linked charts.  If I drill down or use slicers to limit what is shown, the drill down views do not "interact" with one another from the Drilled in view to the others.

Tried both IE and Chrome and no difference.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors