Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pbigeek_ac
Regular Visitor

View/Refresh/Edit Power BI reports from a 3rd party portal

Dear Power BI Experts,

We are looking to host a bunch of Power BI reports in a secured internal portal (Non-power bi) and want to allow that for specific set of uses who need to login first to this portal and able to view/refresh/edit the PBI reports according to their authorisations.

We explored the option of "Publish to Web" and it worked ONLY for viewing and interactivity purpose. Also we understand the risk of data security as this URL can be accessed by anyone.

Also, the limitation is we can't get the data refresh and editing features in it.

So we end up with two probable paths:
1. We host a link in the portal and redirect the user to app.powerbi.com to view/refresh/edit report from PBI UI. However not sure, how to authenticate the user in this redirected process and how SSO will work here.
2. We host the PBI report directly inside the portal for viewing purpose and create a button for edit/refresh and once user clicks that, it will redirect the user to app.powerbi.com for editing and refreshing.

Any suggestion to optimise our solution around this? Or any new idea how we can do it better?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@pbigeek_ac Is there any reason that you aren't mentioning Power BI Embedded? You could Embed directly into your application.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@pbigeek_ac Is there any reason that you aren't mentioning Power BI Embedded? You could Embed directly into your application.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hey @Seth_C_Bauer, thanks for your suggestion. We are new to this area and hence looking for an expert guide to resolve our challenge and PBI Embedded is certainly an option we are evaluating currently.

I would like to know more about this and specially on the licensing and implementation part. What licence should be ideal for this? And what type of development efforts we are taking about here?

@pbigeek_ac You would be looking for the Premium Embedded sku's. they are the "EM" and I know of 3 levels, but for some reason it seems like they may be adjusting 1 and 2... I don't know.

In any case, you can find out more info here

I haven't embedded, I wouldn't know level of effort - that might be a good question for the Developer section.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors