Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Duuk
Regular Visitor

Upgrade to PowerBI Pro without Office 365 in sister companies where users work for both companies

Hi, I've digged into the documentation but I cannot find a clear answer to our problem. Could someone explain how we should organise ourselfs to handle the following:

First of all: we don't use Office 365 and are not planning to upgrade to Office 365 in the near future.

We have 2 sisters companies (company A & company B). Employees of company A have email adresses ending with @companyA.com and users of company B have adresses ending with @companyB.com.

Currently I'm the only one with 2 Windows/email accounts (me@companyA & me@companyB) and two PowerBI accounts. I've created reports for both company A and company B (both with completely different sources as company A uses different servers & programs as company B). Now we would like to upgrade to the Pro version and roll out the reports to other users.

There are users (for example the CEO) who work for both the companies, and therefore should be able to acces dashboards/reports for both the companies. However they use only 1 email adress, and preferably should only have to use 1 PowerBI (Pro) account.

Is there a way to do this?

Users who only work for 1 company should only have acces to the reports of 1 company. But this should be rather easy to set up via "Manage Roles".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Duuk,

If using Office 365 isn't an option here, I don't think there is currently a way to let the CEO use only one Email address to view all the reports/dashboards in the same way.

In this scenario, he may need to view some of the reports/dashboards via email link in his own browser window without the left navigation pane, not in the usual Power BI portal, because he is outside organization for the other domain. Or he may need to consider using two Power BI accounts(Email addresses).

Users who only work for 1 company should only have acces to the reports of 1 company. But this should be rather easy to set up via "Manage Roles".

For a single organization(not your scenario), Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI can be used to restrict data access for given users. Filters restrict data at the row level. You can define filters within roles. For more details, you can refer to this article.Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Duuk,

If using Office 365 isn't an option here, I don't think there is currently a way to let the CEO use only one Email address to view all the reports/dashboards in the same way.

In this scenario, he may need to view some of the reports/dashboards via email link in his own browser window without the left navigation pane, not in the usual Power BI portal, because he is outside organization for the other domain. Or he may need to consider using two Power BI accounts(Email addresses).

For a single organization(not your scenario), Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI can be used to restrict data access for given users. Filters restrict data at the row level. You can define filters within roles. For more details, you can refer to this article.Smiley Happy

Regards

I am stuck in a similar situation where I need to upgrade to Power BI pro and I don't have O365. How do I go about it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors