Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

elleneal
Frequent Visitor

Updating SQL Azure Database Views, Tables and Columns on Service

Hi,

I have connected a SQL Azure Server to the Power BI Service using direct query. The issue I have is that when the developer makes changes to the database (adding new tables, views or columns) these updates are not pushed to the dataset on the service.

For me to see the updated data, I have to go through the whole process of 'get data' again. This would mean that all reports created using the existing dataset would have to be created again.

When i click on the ellipsis to the right of the dataset, i only have these options available: Rename, Remove, Dataset Settings, Analyze in Excel. when I select Dataset Settings > Dataset, there are no settings available for datasets that do not come from a file.

Thank you,

Elle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@elleneal yeah schema changes is not supported yet and that is a big impact. You should check out this idea submitted already for it and vote for it. Also look at some options discussed such as using power bi desktop instead to connect first to azure sql db and then publishing but i agree that is not the full alternative as well. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@elleneal yeah schema changes is not supported yet and that is a big impact. You should check out this idea submitted already for it and vote for it. Also look at some options discussed such as using power bi desktop instead to connect first to azure sql db and then publishing but i agree that is not the full alternative as well. 

Thank you Ankit, this is a great help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors