Established Member

Re: Updates to the Web connector

jeppesal is right.

If there are connection only to cloud / online services - it doesn't make any sense to install a Gateway.

Guys, common, you can do better - please make the refresh stable - currently all Power BI projects are NO GO because of this.

Thanks!

Michael

Frequent Visitor

Has anyone figured out how to use the on-premises gateway instead of the personal gateway to schedule synchronisation of web data sources?

I'm fed up with my scheduled sync failing due to my personal gateway (running on my laptop) being unavailable (i.e. my computer being turned off) just to pull data from a website into PBI online...

Regular Visitor

Hi Matmoore,

I had the same problem and the response from Microsoft was to vote for that feature (see http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/On-premises-data-gateway-OData-OAuth2/m-...).

In short, the Gateway takes over all sources on-prem AND online BUT at the movement this is not supported, so you must add the Personal Gateway to enable the combination of on-prem and online sources.

Response from Microsoft

"In addition, I mean that your issue is caused by that on-premises gateway doesn't allow to combine on-premises data source and online data source in a single dataset."

This is such a crazy architecture and doesn't make any sense;

1. First, why does the Gateway take over all sources and not just the on-prem sources?
  2. Why can I add online sources to the Data Gateway (manage gateways) if this feature is not supported?
  3. And even if the Data Gateway did support online sources, why are the connectors and authentication options limited compared to Power BI Desktop?

I hope Microsoft will rethink the backend architecture - at the movement it is too unstable and too confusing Smiley Sad

Power BI Team

hi @jeppesal,

Are you only using Web.contents? If so, you shouldn't need a gateway. The gateway need is only for Web.page usage. 

What error are you seeing? 

Power BI Team

[ Edited ]

@mshparber, thanks for the feedback. We're looking working on this and hoping to get your project soon.

Power BI Team

@tomislav1975, we have changes to using the web.page function. Where a gateway is required if you are using it in a new published report. So in your case, you can either set up a personal gateway or add the data source to your enterprise gateway as a web datasource so you can use it.

Power BI Team

We had an issue with SharePoint libraries when using oAuth, but that was resolved a while back. Are you still seeing it?

Thanks @dimazaid, I will do as you suggested.

Regular Visitor

@dimazaidAny update on this issue?

@dimazaid Thansk Dima, its working now. But unable to schedule refersh for the report. it is saying it is "connecting directly" and and is asking for "windows" credentials. But since it is SP onprem, shouldnt it use a gateway?

How do i set up refersh using a gateway?