Frequent Visitor

Re: Updates to the Web connector

This is terrible news! I've developed Power BI reports that are customer facing, which use data from a web page source. Suddenly without notice, Microsoft pull this feature. This is the exact reason I am finding it difficult to gain support within our business for Microsoft's online services.

Regardless, I trust you are working to provide an alternative solution that will allow for reports to schedule data refreshes from Web Page sources without having to use a gateway running on a local computer.

Frequent Visitor

After changing to web credentials and it's saying that my dashboards need a PowerBI Pro account, even though I created them with a free account. It also said that the (web) refresh failed because "The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine." Wouldn't the 'local machine' in this case be the web service? In any case I cannot fuss around with web access any more and rather do a manual refresh that works reliably.

Regular Visitor

matmoore wrote:

Suddenly without notice, Microsoft pull this feature. This is the exact reason I am finding it difficult to gain support within our business for Microsoft's online services.

Exactly this! Very difficult to get our management behind the switch to PBI when refresh is this unreliable.  

Power BI Team

Yes, please send it to my email dimazaid.at.microsoft.com

Power BI Team

Hello @matmoore, and @TBenders,

I'm sorry you're having difficulties. As I mentioned we're working on improving this in the future. But meanwhile, are you able to use the Power BI gateway to keep your new reports working? To be clear, this is impacting only new reports, if you have an existing report running, it will not have any impact on it. 

Regarding gaining support from your company, were you seeing any other issues in Power BI that we can help with? If so, please send me an email to dimazaid.at.microsoft.com and I'll be more than happy to go thru them.

Thanks!
Dimah 

Power BI Team

Hi @tsg_kevin,
Is it a new report you just published? The gateway requirement is only for new reports.

Frequent Visitor

@dimazaid,

This is a report that was published, then updated recently using the latest version of Power BI desktop and republished.

I'm all for future improvements, but breaking key features (and scheduled sync of online web page data sources is a huge one) before having the improvement ready is extremely poor form for a product targeted at business intelligence. Our business pays Microsoft for a cloud service, which means we expect not to have to run an application on a local server to feed data from a webpage to Power BI online which defeats the purpose of our subscription.

The technical support provided by Microsoft to date has been to use a Personal Gateway (not acceptable as I'd need a computer running when the refresh is scheduled) or alternatively use the workaround in this post by using Google Sheets (even worse, a competitors product)!

Will scheduled refresh of web.page data sources be supported by the "improvement" the Power BI team is working on?
Frequent Visitor

Not sure how you are defining old and new, but I'm guessing new as it's a new location from the last? In any case I have lost track, and as mentioned I will keep using what I know works, because Murphy's law I won't be able to troubleshoot it in time before a meeting or something. 

Power BI Team

Hi @tsg_kevin,
New == was published since the last Power BI Desktop release end of November (11/28). (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-november-feature-summary/) 
Old == was published before that. 

Frequent Visitor

Okay, they would be all new then, since I refresh/publish some every day, some every week, and some every month. But I generally update PBI Desktop when I see the notification pop-up, and all the new features have been relevant and useful to me.