Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sandeepiiit
Frequent Visitor

Unable to setup a refresh schedule

I made a report using PowerBI Desktop that connects to different SQL Azure Databases using "Import" mode. (Import mode because DirectQuery mode is not supported for more than one database). I published this report to PowerBI service, but it doesn't refresh, and I can't seem to be able to change the refresh settings either.

The settings page for the dataset looks like this:

PowerBIScreenshot.png

It tells me that my gateway connection is set up to be "User your data geteway (PowerBI - Personal)" and says its offline. And it tells me it was configured my be. I never setup a gateway, and I think I don't need one either because the data sources are SQL Azure Servers.

And the "Schedule Refresh" section is grayed out.

Any idea how can I get it to refresh periodically?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sandeepiiit
Frequent Visitor

Now I am able to schedule refreshes, even without a gateway. The issue was that the credentials to one of my sources was wrong.

To summarize:

1. As everyone mentioned, using multiple sources is not supported in DirectQuery mode and Import mode is the only way.

2. Refresh scheduling DOES work for Import mode as well. No gateway is needed (for SQL Azure databases).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
sandeepiiit
Frequent Visitor

Now I am able to schedule refreshes, even without a gateway. The issue was that the credentials to one of my sources was wrong.

To summarize:

1. As everyone mentioned, using multiple sources is not supported in DirectQuery mode and Import mode is the only way.

2. Refresh scheduling DOES work for Import mode as well. No gateway is needed (for SQL Azure databases).

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @sandeepiiit

It does appear that at some point a Personal Data Gateway was installed?

Also as far as I am aware in order to use the Azure SQL Database you have to connect directly for it to not require a gateway.

As soon as you use any data source where it is in Import Mode, it will require the Data Gateway (Personal or On-Premise) in order to refresh the data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible to use "DirectQuery" with two data sources? (both sources are SQL Azure dbs). I was actually forced to use import mode when I added the second source, because it complained that DirectQuery can't allow multiple sources.

Hi @sandeepiiit,

>>Is it possible to use "DirectQuery" with two data sources?

Current "direct query" not support connect to multiple datasource, even if there are in the same server.
If you want to connect to multiple datasource, you need to switch the connect mode to import.

There are currently a few limitations to using DirectQuery:

• All tables must come from a single database

For more detail abou use direct query, you can refer to follow link:

Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop

In addition, you can also send your requirement to ideas.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @sandeepiiit

You are indeed correct in order to have multiple sources you have to use the Import Mode. But the flip side is that you then have to use the Gateway to refresh the data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors