Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cullan

Unable to refresh dataset in PowerBI service using on-prem gateway

-Refreshing the data model works fine in the power bi desktop (which is also installed on the same server at the on-premise gateway)

-Publishing the PBIX works fine but then refreshing data just results in the loading icon of doom on the dataset for 20mins then a warning sign but no specific error even in the refresh history logs.

-I managed to find this in the gateway log "System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast GuidColumn to type String" I can't seem to find anything else regerding the issue since error reporting is basically non-existent.

-Re-installed both Desktop and Gateway to latest version.

-I am pulling tables from one SQL server for the dataset and I have tried creating a new dataset with different tables which uploads and refreshed fine.

-I wish there were more detailed error logging so I could track this down but even the verbose logging is terrible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Cullan

Hi Qiuyun,

I checked the SQL logs but couldn't find anymore detail but I managed to solve the issue anyway. I removed table by tables from my dataset untill the refresh worked and I found the problematic table which had a column full of GUID. When viewing the table in the query editor the braces around the GUID disappear so im not sure it that is a bug or not, maybe part of the problem. 

Anyway I just ran the UPPERCASE transformation on the GUID column and now it refreshes ok.

Thanks,

Cullan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Cullan

Hi Qiuyun,

I checked the SQL logs but couldn't find anymore detail but I managed to solve the issue anyway. I removed table by tables from my dataset untill the refresh worked and I found the problematic table which had a column full of GUID. When viewing the table in the query editor the braces around the GUID disappear so im not sure it that is a bug or not, maybe part of the problem. 

Anyway I just ran the UPPERCASE transformation on the GUID column and now it refreshes ok.

Thanks,

Cullan

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Cullan,

It seems the refresh issue happens to the one specific table in the same database, right? Can you please let SQL administrator check SQL log at the same time to see if any issue happened on SQL side? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Cullan

DM.EnterpriseGateway Error: 0 : 2017-03-22T20:53:35.9449293Z DM.EnterpriseGateway	2d8dcc9c-c0db-4d84-b79a-dcd0c4261d26	6df7d4b6-b98b-7025-236d-da33707bf2b7	MGPS	cbe98385-2f4b-aa18-f698-73a20f10293b	A1054F00 [DM.Pipeline.Common] Non-gateway exception encountered in activity scope: System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast GuidColumn to type String.
   at Microsoft.OleDb.Column.GetString(Int32 row)
   at Microsoft.OleDb.Serialization.PageReaderDataReader.GetString(Int32 ordinal)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.AdoBinaryWriterSerializer.<Read>d__4.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.AdoBinaryWriterSerializer.<Serialize>d__0.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.GatewaySerializer.<SerializeAdoQueryResponse>d__18.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.GatewaySerializer.<SerializeImpl>d__14.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.Serialization.GatewaySerializer.<>c__DisplayClass2.<<Serialize>b__0>d__4.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Common.Diagnostics.PipelineTelemetryService.<ExecuteInActivity>d__3.MoveNext()

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors