Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

weilip1803
Frequent Visitor

Trying to build reports with live data

I am trying to build a live report from azure sql database with the direct query option. But directquery does not allow me to manipulate data(This step results in a query that is not supported in DirectQuery mode). Can I still build a live report? And how can I go about doing it

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @weilip1803,

As no data is imported or copied into Power BI, DirectQuery is suggested for users who are familiar with the databases and entities they connect to. In Power BI Service, you can drag query out fields into visuals, data modeling are not available.

In your scenario, if you want to perform data modeling and data transformations for those fields, the suggestion is to use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop. Then publish the .pbix file to Power BI Service. For more information, please refer to links below:

Azure SQL Database with DirectQuery

Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

Live query currently does not support the full set of transformations that you can do with an imported query. I have the impression that they are working on adding more transformation functionality to direct query connections but for now you can't use it if you need those complex transformations. For now I just have my reports set to auto-refresh several times a day and my users know that their data is only accurate to within the last three hours.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@weilip1803 I'm not sure if I understood you 100%, but using power bi service you can connect to azure sql db using directquery but that will not give you data modelling part that you get in power bi desktop. You can still build reports but just as you mentioned you can't do complex data transformations that you are able to do in power bi desktop.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors