Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Zakalwe

Trouble with relative date ranges

Hi there,

I'm new to all this and only have the Power BI free version at the moment.

I have a simple Excel spreadsheet in SharePoint Online, had no trouble importing it and creating 3 graphs from the data using the basic report builder. In the filtering I have selected a relative date filter so I get just the last 60 days including today.

Trouble is my timezone is UTC+12 and it seems the Power BI is using UTC so my graph does not update to the current day till midday my time. I can't see any simple way to make the filter use UTC+12 (or get Power BI set to my locale)

Is there any way around this bearing in mind i'm not particularly experienced at all this?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Zakalwe,

The time zone in the service is effectively always set to UTC. On Power BI Service, the now() function will return the UTC time. We can't set the time zone on Power BI Service. To get the correct local time, you can add time different in your DAX formula, or use Power Query to get the local time zone datetime. 

There is a workaround to display time in your current time zone. You can use following power query in the Query Editor if your time zone is 8 hours ahead of UTC.

DateTimeZone.SwitchZone( DateTimeZone.FixedLocalNow(), +8 )

More details, please review this knowledge base and article.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelina,

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned I am a beginner with Power Bi so I have no idea what a "DAX" is or what the Query Editor is.

I just created a couple of simple graphs in the Power Bi website with the basic drag and drop tools there.

I'll have a look at those articles and see if I can figure all of that out.

Thanks

Scott

Hi @Zakalwe,

Got it, please don't hesitate to ask if you want clear something up. I think the article describe the solution step by step.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors