Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shamatix
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

The gateway operation has been cancelled explicitly by the user or from a timeout.

Hey Fellow power bi users,

As of lately most if not all of my datasets / reports / dashboards are experiencing this problem:

"The gateway operation has been cancelled explicitly by the user or from a timeout."

I have had no issues with this before, and I can update my reports just fine in the powerbi desktop, but suddently one day to another I am getting this error and what can I explain to the customers? Nothing... 

I have tried to remove one of the data sets / report and readd it without any luck, and honestly, thats such a bad solution even if it works, because that would mean I would have to reshare it again with all these email adresses.

I really do not know what to do, and it's the second day in a row now the customer is standing still in regards to reports....

I hope someone can help, because this seriously doesnt seem stable enough for real use.

13 REPLIES 13
jderekc
Helper IV
Helper IV

I am having the same issue.  I saw that Microsoft was made aware of this issue on a section of their site where you can submit problems (not direct support tickets), but haven't heard a peep out of them since.  I also do not see an advisory for this.  Can Microsoft please advise as to the status of this problem?  I have a few datasets that keep failing to refresh either scheduled or even on-demand.  I am using the on-premise gateway for these datasets, not personal gateways.

Regards,

Derek

Okay guys, this error basicly has "nothing" to do with the actual gateway, but how badly error handling in Power Bi is done.

I have found the error in my 2 reports that experienced this issue, the error wasnt the same however, so god knows how much time I've spent on this.

How I did my troubleshooting for this error:

1. Deleted ALL relationships and tried to figure out if it had something to do with a relationship, in one of the two reports it had something to do with a relationship. So I slowly started building up all my relationships while publiushing it again for each relationship, untill I stumbled across the error again. Once I knew which relationship was giving me the error I fast noticed it had created a 1 to 1 way relationship, eventho I knew there could be duplicates in one of the tables, once I set it to many to one I could refresh the data with the gateway again.

2. My second report wasnt this easy tho! I started once more deleting all relationships and now it would refresh the data again with the gateway, so I started rebuilding the relationships slowly untill I stumbled across the relationship that was causing the issue. This time I had no idea what was wrong with the relationship as it was build up correctly. So after a couple of hours, and yes I mean hours! of different kinds of troubleshoot, I finally tried the button called "Remove Errors" on the two columns that was used to create the relationship. I have no idea what this button do, but it fixed my issue, however am I supposed to press "Remove Errors" on all my columns in all my tables just to be sure **bleep** like this aint happening in the future? What does this button do?!

And I really cant stress enough how badly these errors are described, at all times I could refresh the data just fine in the Power Bi Desktop, it was just the gateway causing me so many troubles. The error "The gateway operation has been cancelled explicitly by the user or from a timeout." gives you absolutely nothing, and specially when you can refresh the data in the power bi desktop, but not with the gateway? Could they at MINIMUM do so we cant refresh the data in the power bi desktop if there is something causing an error!? Quite dissapointed when it comes to troubleshooting for power bi, you spend almost more time trying to find the errors with the lack of description than building the entire dashboards?

Best regards

Hi @Shamatix,

For #1, I'd like to suggest you not use the auto detectfeature to analysis and create the relationships, it only analysis based on current records. if you have to use this feature, please ensure you have enough records.

For #2, remove error feature will remove the rows who has the error.(for e.g. text character appears in number columns)

Based on your description, this issue sounds more related to your source data, please add some conditions to your queries to ensure your datasource only contains the right records.

>>Quite dissapointed when it comes to troubleshooting for power bi, you spend almost more time trying to find the errors with the lack of description than building the entire dashboards?

I think you can vote below idea which about improved error handling feature:

Better Error Handling

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft wrote:

Hi @Shamatix,

For #1, I'd like to suggest you not use the auto detectfeature to analysis and create the relationships, it only analysis based on current records. if you have to use this feature, please ensure you have enough records.

For #2, remove error feature will remove the rows who has the error.(for e.g. text character appears in number columns)

Based on your description, this issue sounds more related to your source data, please add some conditions to your queries to ensure your datasource only contains the right records.

>>Quite dissapointed when it comes to troubleshooting for power bi, you spend almost more time trying to find the errors with the lack of description than building the entire dashboards?

I think you can vote below idea which about improved error handling feature:

Better Error Handling

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hey Xiaoxin,

For the first one I usually I dont use that feature, unsure how it slipped past me, but it did.

For the second however, how do I find these rows that has the errors, any ways to see which rows "Remove erros" are actually removing? As I could refresh the data just fine 🙂 

Hi @Shamatix,

>>For the second however, how do I find these rows that has the errors, any ways to see which rows "Remove erros" are actually removing? As I could refresh the data just fine Smiley Happy 

Actually power bi filtered these error records in power query.  If you want, you can navigate to that source and modify the actived step( before 'remove error'). After these steps, you will find whole table data.(include the error records)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I know it's a lot to ask for, but any chance you can take a screenshot of where I get to this power query? Quite new to power bi

HI @Shamatix,

Below is the sample.

Original table contains three column with same value as different type, you can find the errors.

3.PNG

I add two custom steps to remove error records at different columns. You can modify the active step to view different records.

4.PNG5.PNG

Full query:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSgeJYnWglIyALgkE8YyALgkE8EyALgkG8RCALgkG8MiALgkG8VCALgkE8QwN9IDIyMDQHWYODA1VohCSFhR0bCwA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Test = _t, Test2 = _t, Test3 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Test", Int64.Type}, {"Test2", type date}}),
    #"Removed Errors(Number)" = Table.RemoveRowsWithErrors(#"Changed Type", {"Test"}),
    #"Removed Errors(Date)" = Table.RemoveRowsWithErrors(#"Changed Type", {"Test2"})
in
    #"Removed Errors(Date)"

In summary, power query not really replaced the source data, it only apply some specific filter on source table.

Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

I got the same problem - wonder if you get this resolved at the end and can share the solution please?

Appreciate it.

Cheers

a_k_reynolds
Regular Visitor

We are seeing the same issue across many datasets, I estimate 90% of scheduled refreshes are failing.  Gateway is upto date and no other changes to infrastructure or datasets. 

Blows my mind how so many people are experiencing this issue and microsoft em self havnt come out with a single statement about this issue yet.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Shamatix,

Can you please share some detail contents about the issue? For instance: screenshots, refresh history, log...

In addition, you can also try to install the newest gateway or submit a support ticket for further support.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

@v-shex-msft wrote:

Hi @Shamatix,

Can you please share some detail contents about the issue? For instance: screenshots, refresh history, log...

In addition, you can also try to install the newest gateway or submit a support ticket for further support.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Any chance you can add me on skype? My skype is Snaske2 

I really dont mind giving you logs but I have a ton of logs, so need to make sure I give you the right logs, I have some Gateway logs and some GatewayConfigurator logs

Hey as you can see this happened very suddently,

And it happened for more than just one of my datasets / reports and I am using different databases.

I can update the data in power bi desktop my self just fine, if I right click the dataset on the web and press refresh now, its the same error. 

And before you say I should type to their support, I get the following error when I try to do that

I know it's in danish but it says the following "You can try to resolve the problem by refreshing the page. You can also wait and try in a couple of minutes again" and then it's basicly just an error ID, so I cant even write to their support.

I find it quite scary that microsoft has a huge platform with so many users and you cant even write to their support, and multiple people are experiencing this issue without any information regarding this issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors